Discuss Self Levelling Query. in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Trigger

Arms
Reaction score
Hi All,

Doing an install at the moment which requires me to self level in two stages. I have put leveller over leveller in the past (priming between coats) and not thought much of it. However today I had a query and decided to call the manufacturers technical team and to my surprise they told me that you shouldn't put a second layer of levelling compound over the first as it won't bond.

Anyone come across this before? Everyday is a school day as they say.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
Trigger

faceman

TF
Arms
Reaction score
That’s a new one on me. Self leveller we use can only be 15mm max so it advises two coats if more is needed. I’d use another leveller if that’s the case

eddcottee

Arms
Reaction score
I had a problem recently as Topps had a leveller on sale which I had over ordered on one job, so used on another. Put the leveller in and it didnt quite reach the level I needed. Went to Topps for some more and it was discontinued. So got a bag of another leveller which on the packet highlighted existing self leveller as a suitable substrate, so i used that and the bond seemed fine. Perhaps it depends on the manufacturer mate.

Trigger

Arms
Reaction score
Yeah something to do with the polymers apparently. I’ve done it in the past no problems. Having already poured the first part I am doubting if I should do the 2nd pour.

eddcottee

Arms
Reaction score
If the tech team have told you no, I would find one which says it is ok and call their tech team to make sure. I wouldn't want to risk it if they've said its not acceptable. Somebody else in here may know better though. good luck mate

eddcottee

Arms
Reaction score
I've used the topps self smoothing compound and poured more than one layer on a number of occasions without any issues. Dosent mean I'm technically correct in doing so of course, but its always been fine for me

Trigger

Arms
Reaction score
I've used the topps self smoothing compound and poured more than one layer on a number of occasions without any issues. Dosent mean I'm technically correct in doing so of course, but its always been fine for me
Yeah so have I, that’s why it threw me a bit.

Kevbos

Arms
Reaction score
Please contribute to this thread if you have any new information or can even just reiterate what has been said already. :)
Hi All,

Doing an install at the moment which requires me to self level in two stages. I have put leveller over leveller in the past (priming between coats) and not thought much of it. However today I had a query and decided to call the manufacturers technical team and to my surprise they told me that you shouldn't put a second layer of levelling compound over if the first as it won't bond.

Anyone come across this before? Everyday is a school day as they say.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
Trigger
They say that because if you go over the first coat there is not much to grip to as the first coat very smooth ! There are different levelling depths specifically to avoid this problem !upto 50mm I think anything above that should really be screeded !!

Reply to Self Levelling Query. in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks