Search the forum,

Discuss Sanding, regrouting to level and painting tiles apartment floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jaykruger

Hi everyone,
I'm renovating an apartment floor that is tiled about 80sqm.
It has a very badly done tile job. Ugly tiles which are are uneven, rough grout lines of about 1/4 inch.

Apparently painting is not such a bad idea for floor tiles except for the edges that will chip immediately they say.

So the idea I've come up with is the following please let me know if it could work. I know it is unorthodox but please hear me out and no swearing please :)

First I intend to sand the tiles with a floor sander (those that look like a small lawn mover) using a very coarse paper maybe 60 (Any suggestions) and moving up to 160 until the surface is coarse/porous and the edges as flat as possible.
Then I intend to clean out excess grout and roughen up the sides of rounded sides even more so grout will stick by using a drill and one of those steel brush attachments.
Then re-grout the floor to bring the grout lines level with the tile edges and smoothen any unevenness still left between the tiles. I am guessing that if tiles are coarse grout will stick also to the top.
Then I would pass the sander again with with 220 paper to smoothen the grout and get the tile surface smoother.
Clean properly then apply 1-2-3 primer and paint twice with a resistant enamel used for stoops or otherwise a floor paint and then two coats of acrylic marine polyurethane to protect against chipping.

What do the expert think? Am I crazy or could it work? Any suggestions welcomed and appreciated.

Many thanks,

Jay

Reply to Sanding, regrouting to level and painting tiles apartment floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen