Search the forum,

Discuss Rapid Set Adhesive With Marble ? in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com.

C

charlieorrin

got a job coming up with white marble , 12mm thick . Walls and floors , ordered slowest adhesive as I usually use with marble .
The customer has gone to Topps to pick up there tiles and he has told her I should no way use slow set and use rapid or it will come through and stain the tile ?
Now I can see that happening with grey adhesive or for it was thin marble ?
Any advice as the customer is really stressing me about it

Thanks

C

Chazz Unrau

Hi mate

Seal your tiles first and let it soak in and dry properly, stick with your slow set your the tiler at the end of the day your customer should take your advice over a salesperson. Just keep your joints well washed down when your laying and don't dot and dab

H

hmtiling

Some stone will show adhesive bleed rapid or slow set. Ardex do adhesives which chemically bind the water to stop this. X7001 is one I believe.

S

Stef

You shouldn't really use a slow set on stone as it could bleed through in sensitive stone.
Use this & always back butter the tile.
TileMaster semi rapid, goes off in 6hrs.

image.jpeg

Reaction score
The Topps Shop assistant was just playing it safe, as would I.
There's been a fair bit going around the industry lately regarding only using rapid on natural stone.
It doesn't sound like using slow set commonly causes problems however, I'm presuming somewhere there must have been problems to set off these technical reports that go around.

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
I get lots of problems, generally slow set on naturals ,drying times can be far extended as the white marbles can show, as it migrates through the stone,I would not recomend you pre seal the tiles either as this then can trap the moisture and can lead to water staining (tiles stay dark ,non removable)
Most stone suppliers tend to use a rapid set.im sure
Would this not be laid as most naturals , lay , leave to release all moisture, this may take several days or more, impregnate, grout, re seal.

Q

Qwerty

I would never risk using slow set. Semi rapid from Tilemaster would be the slowest setting I would be prepared to use. A big loss if it doesn't work out!
Even the smallest of marble floors can take a week from start to finish when all of the setting, drying, grouting & sealing has finished

Reply to Rapid Set Adhesive With Marble ? in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I‘ve just finished tiling the majority of my garden path. Base is concrete, and tiles are...
Replies
Views
I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen