Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Pulled off old tiles and plaster and render came off with it.. in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

A

ajs

HI people,

I have a 2 storey 3 bed semi 1930s ex council house made from concrete block. with cavity and rendered on the outside, rendered and plastered inside. the internal walls are also concrete block rendered and plastered.

making a start on the bathroom... top floor has a sloping ceiling that did have damp issues due to a dodgy roof tile.. damp now sorted but some render has blown.

after pulling off the old tiles around the window most of the render has come away with it including around the lintel (this is only on the side where the roof tile went and has now dried out).

This also happens to be the same wall as the shower/bath will be going (thankfully the end of the bath will be going against the opposite, and good side of the window on this wall) I was hoping to tank the corner of that and the rest of the walls surrounding the bath prior to tiling.

I don't really have enough room to batten and lay backing board or even dot dab plasterboard and tank it. even if i remove all of the render and plaster on the entire wall.

i am planning on knocking away the blown plaster on the bad side if the wall then sealing it and patching it up. i don't think i can get the plaster off of the render on the good side, so was hoping to just bring the render out flush to the existing lever (only 2-3mm of skimmed plaster over the existing render)

would this be a good idea? or would you recommend removing the entire wall of render then starting again?

if sealing and patching the render is acceptable, what sealant and render would you use? also what sealant would you use on the render once it has set?

bit lengthy i know but tried to put all info down!

cheers in advance

regards

Adam

A

ajs

OK have re measured and it looks like i can batten and attach backing board to it.. would this be the best option?
regards,

Adam

T

TJ Smiler

Dot & Dab. Quick, easy cheap and nice and flat to tile...................... but do tank it out though.

Reply to Pulled off old tiles and plaster and render came off with it.. in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks