Discuss problems with porcelain tile installation on patio. in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

U

Unregistered

About a year ago, I had 64 sqm porcelain tiles installed on top of a concrete slab, forming a patio.
This was part of a large build, and there was a clear spec that the tile adhesive be applied as a "bed" using a "notched trowel method", which I think means that the whole underside of the tile should be supported by a bed of adhesive.
Several tiles are slightly wobbly, which meant I was slightly suspicious about how well the adhesive had applied, but I was persuaded by the builders at the time that this wasn't a big deal.
One year later, we have just had a tile break, and looking beneath it, you can see there are large gaps (at least 20cm x 20cm under a 60cm x 60cm tile) where there is no adhesive at all - so the tile is held up by blobs of adhesive in the corners, rather than an even bed of adhesive.
The tile broke when a small piece of timber, weighing less than 5kg, fell from a height of about 8ft, landing in the middle of a tile. It may have been weakened by an aluminium tower we have had onsite for the last week or so, fitting some cladding to a wall above the patio. If the tile had been properly supported with adhesive across the whole of the tile, I don't think there would have been a problem.
Together with the wobbly tiles, I now suspect that the entire patio has been laid with just blobs of adhesive, rather than a proper bed, and that I am going to continue to have problems with tiles cracking and smashing.
I am wondering whether there is any way to correct this without ripping up and re-laying all the tiles. For example, is it possible to rip up a small number of tiles, and inject a compound into the gaps underneath all the adjacent tiles? It would need to be liquid enough to get into the gaps, but set solid enough to provide support for the tiles.
I would appreciate any suggestions for what can be done on this. I will be taking this back to the original builder, but we don't have a good relationship at the moment, and they are very unlikely to admit fault, or help to correct the problems.

W

White Room

Dot and dabs are no way a good fixing method, there's no easy way to sort this out or quick fix....the builder is responsible.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Your correct tiles should be fixed with a solid bed of adhesive and not blobs..

As for rectifying it without removing the tiles ....its not something I've come across. .

R

Russell brown

Not all builders are the same :mad2:, some of like to pride ourselves on the other trades that we carry out. Having said that I have seen some very bad work from all trades. If I don't think I can do something right to a high standard I'll getnsomeone else to do it!.

Reply to problems with porcelain tile installation on patio. in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks