Discuss Priming of floorboards before fixing cement boards? in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mmmadman

Hi all

I'm using Topps Trade Rapid-Set Flexible adhesive to secure 6mm Hardy cement boards onto floorboards, do I need to prime the floorboards with anything?

Many thanks

J

jay

you dont need to prime floorboards as the adh under cementsheet is only to fill voides so cementsheet is flat and sound screws hold it in place recomend you stagger c/s

M

mmmadman

Thanks for the quick reply, what type of screws do u recommend as the Hardy ones are to long @ 28mm. I got some external use screws from B&Q....!

J

jay

best bet to go with the recomended ones or ones nearly identical external grade is better check around there are shorter ones

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

I like to overlay t&g with ply 9mm in small, deflection free areas screwed at 6" centres, then glue and screw Hardie 6mm (or the like) cement board over this. I know it might not be exactly to the book, but I also know it works.:thumbsup: I am now ready to receive the back lash. ( I always use Mapei Keraquick with latex plus) never had a problem:smilewinkgrin: I would like to hear anyones comments on this method.:yikes:

D

DHTiling

In theory Phil, it is to spec .. 15mm over board but with double layer adhesive.. so OTT for some..

D

doug boardley

I like to overlay t&g with ply 9mm in small, deflection free areas screwed at 6" centres, then glue and screw Hardie 6mm (or the like) cement board over this. I know it might not be exactly to the book, but I also know it works.:thumbsup: I am now ready to receive the back lash. ( I always use Mapei Keraquick with latex plus) never had a problem:smilewinkgrin: I would like to hear anyones comments on this method.:yikes:
do you mean the old style floorboards Phil, as opposed to t&g chipboard flooring?

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

do you mean the old style floorboards Phil, as opposed to t&g chipboard flooring?

Doug, I use this method on small areas only, 9mm wpb ply screwed at 6" centres, then Hardie board 6mm glued and screwed using Keraquick with latex plus. Then tiles fixed with Keraquick with latex plus, on T&G floorboards or chipboard (providing no deflection):thumbsup:

D

doug boardley

They are 18mm T&G traditional floor boards, the area is less than 3sqm and I have screwed all the bords down in addition to the original nails.
I see your reluctance to use 28mm screws then, they'd have been fine if you had 22mm T & G:thumbsup:

Reply to Priming of floorboards before fixing cement boards? in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay