Search the forum,

Discuss practice for newbies for setting out in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

ross lewiss

just wanted to share this with all the new tilers like myself. i have been drawing wall and floor layouts on paper and cutting mini cardboard tiles in order to practice setting out. it really helps. you can draw the windows and floors so that they are not square and it helps practice setting out in scale. tou can make any tile mini 660x330, 30x30 etc etc and make mini cardboard scale gauging sticks.
it really helps when you do it for floor lay out because you can draw elaborate room layouts and practice setting out to scale. after all its no different to real rooms, the only thing you cant account for is the floors/walls being uneven.
hope this helps some people, its helped me a lot this week, ithink!
thanks, ross

H

hillhead

keeps you busy anyway Ross,
i'm on a lovely marble floor from yesterday and the customer gave me a detailed computer print out of the floor and the tiles on it !!!! great help to me as it was only 2mm !!!!!!!!!!!!! out in one place,hexagon shape crem marfil 20mm thich tiles with lovely chocolate 100mm squares set in on the 45 ! lovely,will post pics shortly of it,i'll not grout to next week as he is colouring them with something! lol,
Joe.

W

Woody123

I normally just make myself a gauging rod but with different size tiles every time and use a dry wipe marker (white board pen) on my tiles already up in my bathroom (plain white ceramics) so you can mark it up and it easily wipes off! Also then you can set the tile out in different patterns. i.e brick bond, diagonal and you also have all your obstacles to try and get good cuts

M

MICK the Tiler

A good couple of pairs of tilers dividers are also a useful tool for setting out I've got a large pair for floors about 900mm long good for tiles up 750mm and a smaller pair about 600mm long for walls, just set the width of the tile plus a space and step it out.:thumbsup:

W

waterfd

where did get the dividers from? these would certainly be easier than using the tile.

S

sWe

just wanted to share this with all the new tilers like myself. i have been drawing wall and floor layouts on paper and cutting mini cardboard tiles in order to practice setting out.

I did something similar when I was new, and it was quite educational I must say.

Reply to practice for newbies for setting out in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen