Search the forum,

Discuss Porcelain Tiles - Staining and water ingress in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

p20nty

Yes the surface does appear 'waxy' - would that be the sealing applied at manufacture? I can upload an image(s) of staining if that helps. Thanks to all those who have responded so far.

P

p20nty

IMG_3260.jpg IMG_3261.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3258a.jpg
    465.5 KB · Views: 77
P

p20nty

Not really, tiles were copiously washed and wiped to give a good 'optical' type finish prior to and post cutting. No waxy finish therefore at installation. There is clear staining to a lessor or greater degree. Take a look at these pics. IMG_3260.jpg IMG_3261.jpg

P

p20nty

Can you suggest a good sealant for porcelain tiles that will penetrate polish. I have used a sealant on slate 600x600 tiles before I laid them but assume this is not appropriate for porcelain.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
It does look like transit wax to me. As mz30 said, water will not remove it. Normally you will see some sort of pattern to the wax marks......like a cross or a couple of lines made with a wax marker or whatever they use. I once had a tile with a smiley face drawn on with wax! You will have to use whatever the shop recommends as if you buy your own then the shop could say you should have used ours and now we are not liable for any damage caused. Good luck.

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
It does look and sound like transit wax.

Be worth getting a wax remover and trying on a inconspicuous corner.

Reply to Porcelain Tiles - Staining and water ingress in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen