Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Plaster board? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Should plaster board be primed before tiling? And if so with what primer? I understand plaster needs priming but the chap I work with says you don't need to with plaster board!!

W

White Room

I used to but don't now but if there is any exposed gypsum I just stick a splash of sbr to cover it...

P

Perry

No you don't have to but some like to stop so much suction I never have myself but would if I needed to like every thing depends what you are doing and with what

S

Stef

Worked with boys a few weeks ago & they prime plasterboard if using a cement based adhesive.
I've never primed plasterboard even with cement or tubbed addy.

Diggy

TF
Reaction score
I do myself , stops the muck skinning over so quickly etc , personal pref tho'.

APD by the way.

Diggy

S

Stef

It was all paid for through Porcelanosa for Royalty!!!
I was on a price & I primed!!
I still don't know to be honest if you have to prime or not.
I've tiled thousands of meters of plasterboard & never had a failure but it still don't mean it's right!!

C

charlie1

I always prime, recently run out and didn't prime using webber SPF, went back in next day to replace tile I was not happy with and it came away with very little effort, so for me I always prime plasterboard!!

P

Perry

It was all paid for through Porcelanosa for Royalty!!!
I was on a price & I primed!!
I still don't know to be honest if you have to prime or not.
I've tiled thousands of meters of plasterboard & never had a failure but it still don't mean it's right!!
Most of the major adhesive companies say you don't have to but they do love selling more primer but as Diggy says he likes to as it doesn't skin as quick which would be one reason I would if that's what I wanted job to job as they say (hope it wasn't in a castle near me)

Reply to Plaster board? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks