Discuss Plain white encaustic - ideas on cleaning, pre-sealing? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Hi All,

Can anyone recommend a way to ensure the plain whites are as clean as possible before sealing - and can lippage be improved at all once tiles are set?

During the wait before grouting I am worried about inevitable dirt - and also wondered whether anyone has tried sanding encaustic (super dusty?!) to also help with lippage? I am sometimes lipping nearly 3 mm on some of the really bad joints. Joints are 2mm wide. I think my innexperience struggled with the varying thickness of the tiles, and I am sure my floor prep could have been a great deal better.

Floor is joisted, 18mm T&G spruce ply, 6mm NMP, Ditra

Tile is 18mm+/-, 20x20, with a good 4mm of white top layer.

Any advice is greatly appreciated by a novice!

Rgds Jack

White Encaustic Tile Living Room.jpg

Reaction score
Not sure why anyone would want plain white encaustic tiles to be honest didn't even know they existed. Should have been sealed prior to laying ideally. Can lightly sand any faint mark's off using a really fine sandpaper 500 grit and try to use white sandpaper. As for the lippage being sanded out that would be a job for a professional, understand you claim to be a novice but up to 3mm difference is a lot when they are a consistent thickness going on a new floor. All the best
[automerge]1589984281[/automerge]
..apologies just re read that the tiles you used were of varying thickness. They sound like a nightmare to be fair.

Reaction score
Not sure why anyone would want plain white encaustic tiles to be honest didn't even know they existed. Should have been sealed prior to laying ideally. Can lightly sand any faint mark's off using a really fine sandpaper 500 grit and try to use white sandpaper. As for the lippage being sanded out that would be a job for a professional, understand you claim to be a novice but up to 3mm difference is a lot when they are a consistent thickness going on a new floor. All the best
[automerge]1589984281[/automerge]
..apologies just re read that the tiles you used were of varying thickness. They sound like a nightmare to be fair.

Thanks JK - ideal, I will give the sandpaper a go. I appreciate the time and help! J

Reply to Plain white encaustic - ideas on cleaning, pre-sealing? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay