Discuss Plain white encaustic - ideas on cleaning, pre-sealing? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi All,

Can anyone recommend a way to ensure the plain whites are as clean as possible before sealing - and can lippage be improved at all once tiles are set?

During the wait before grouting I am worried about inevitable dirt - and also wondered whether anyone has tried sanding encaustic (super dusty?!) to also help with lippage? I am sometimes lipping nearly 3 mm on some of the really bad joints. Joints are 2mm wide. I think my innexperience struggled with the varying thickness of the tiles, and I am sure my floor prep could have been a great deal better.

Floor is joisted, 18mm T&G spruce ply, 6mm NMP, Ditra

Tile is 18mm+/-, 20x20, with a good 4mm of white top layer.

Any advice is greatly appreciated by a novice!

Rgds Jack

White Encaustic Tile Living Room.jpg

Reaction score
Not sure why anyone would want plain white encaustic tiles to be honest didn't even know they existed. Should have been sealed prior to laying ideally. Can lightly sand any faint mark's off using a really fine sandpaper 500 grit and try to use white sandpaper. As for the lippage being sanded out that would be a job for a professional, understand you claim to be a novice but up to 3mm difference is a lot when they are a consistent thickness going on a new floor. All the best
[automerge]1589984281[/automerge]
..apologies just re read that the tiles you used were of varying thickness. They sound like a nightmare to be fair.

Reaction score
Not sure why anyone would want plain white encaustic tiles to be honest didn't even know they existed. Should have been sealed prior to laying ideally. Can lightly sand any faint mark's off using a really fine sandpaper 500 grit and try to use white sandpaper. As for the lippage being sanded out that would be a job for a professional, understand you claim to be a novice but up to 3mm difference is a lot when they are a consistent thickness going on a new floor. All the best
[automerge]1589984281[/automerge]
..apologies just re read that the tiles you used were of varying thickness. They sound like a nightmare to be fair.

Thanks JK - ideal, I will give the sandpaper a go. I appreciate the time and help! J

Reply to Plain white encaustic - ideas on cleaning, pre-sealing? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Damian
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks