Search the forum,

Discuss Pecilastic, Durabase CI, Ditra matting in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

W

wetdec

Lets try to end the guessing and assumptions being thrown around re this miraculous product.

Pecilastic is an uncoupling membrane for use under tiles over substrates susceptible to lateral tensions. A thin membrane consisting of 2 layers the upper and lower separating under tension.

Pecilastic can be used over weyroc chipboard floors as an uncoupling providing the floor is of “good quality, fully braced chipboard”

Fully braced chipboard means the chipboard should be fixed at 300mm centres in both directions. For those unclear on this, joists must be fixed too every 300mm and noggins must be inserted between joists at 300mm centres.

Failing the above the floor should be stabilised by over boarding.

Pecilastic is NOT a replacement for ply unless the floor is FULLY BRACED

As Pecilastic has no core it does NOT function as a waterproof membrane.

Here endeth the lesson kindly provided by BASF technical.

Personally I think the phrase
“good quality, fully braced chipboard” is the important one here as it surgests far more than it says !

Tiler :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
S

smurf21

would pecilastic be the same or similiar as ditra matting?( apart from the waterproofing that is)

D

DHTiling

They might serve a similar purpose as an uncoupling membrane but Ditra is also a vapour equalisation membrane and a water proofing membrane...Ditra has dovetailed cut outs in the face which allows the adhesive to lock into...so is a different design to pecilastic..

Here is some data on each product...it might help you understand the difference between the two products...

PCI Pecilastic is a separation layer suitable for use under ceramic and natural stone tiles. It is suitable for indoor and outdoor use on all sound and cracked substrates and for use with underfloor heating systems. The PCI Pecilastic layer enables the substrate beneath to move laterally which means the tile above is protected from the detrimental affects, which sub floor movement, can cause. A solid bed can also be achieved due to the flat nature of the membrane eliminating the problems associated with point loading as long as the appropriate tile is selected.

Schlüter-DITRA is a polyethylene membrane with a grid structure of square cavities, each cut back in a dovetail configuration, and an anchoring fleece laminated to its underside. Designed for tile and natural stone installations, Schlüter-DITRA serves as a waterproofing membrane, a vapour pressure equalisation layer to accommodate moisture occurring at the underside of the substrate, and an uncoupling layer for problematic substrates.

S

smurf21

David you cant just say no without explaining thats not cricket.....lol
you didnt see the edit i was righting while you were repyling ...lol

so basicly pecilastic is only really used on dodgy substrates serseptable to movement and ditra the same and also wet areas. is that in the ball park? as ive never used either only used wedi board before and have to price a job using ditra matting tomorrow.

W

wetdec

David you cant just say no without explaining thats not cricket.....lol
you didnt see the edit i was righting while you were repyling ...lol

so basicly pecilastic is only really used on dodgy substrates serseptable to movement and ditra the same and also wet areas. is that in the ball park? as ive never used either only used wedi board before and have to price a job using ditra matting tomorrow.

This is not correct it should be used on dodgy surfaces where there is a possibility of lateral movement :thumbsup:

tiler

S

smurf21

ok glad thats sorted thankyou all ( so to sum up there the same but different):hurray:

Reply to Pecilastic, Durabase CI, Ditra matting in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen