Search the forum,

Discuss over applied sealer problem in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

steve_c

Hi,
Recently did a 35 m hond and filled travetine job and sealed twice with HG impregnater.
customer wanted lots on which resulted in over application.
I've spent a day trying to get excess off with hg spot and stain remover and still its left a tackyness on top which dirt attracts too. better than before though. Did a job with fila and applied liberally 3 times and never had a problem.

The customer wants a protective coating on the floor which she can just mop and maintain. After second seal dirt just stuck to it and has to be scrubbed hard to be removed. probably have to spend another day trying to get best of it off but reluctant to using more hg products?

Has anyone else come across this problem and know how to put right

Any help appreciated.:thumbsup:

S

steve_c

No, this has caused to the problem I know. It's a mistake I will learn from but not had the problem with other sealers so thought it would be ok.
I have half removed the excess scrubbing with hg spot and stain. I need to know what is best to apply next?
do I have to stick with hg now?

D

DHTiling

Hg products do tend to leave this stickyness...all impregnators steve . you have to remove excess before it dries..unless very porous and just sucks up the first few coats....

Strip it back and just use hg products and remove any excess before it dries.....

S

steve_c

i'll give hg a call but i'm bothered about the same problem happening if I use hg impregnator again. a top coat sealer might be better now I think.

D

DHTiling

i'll give hg a call but i'm bothered about the same problem happening if I use hg impregnator again. a top coat sealer might be better now I think.

NO!! steve don't use a topical sealer on travertine....looks crap and needs stripping every year...

Impregnators are better IMO..

P

Perry

should try hg remover as Dave says remove any sealer with a clean rag if it hasent soaked in within 10 mins never let in dry :pete

W

wetdec

Tilers messing around with different sealers, get the data sheets for lithofin get aquainted with the products and use them regardless of what customers want.

They are able to return to their retailer and get refunds and you are able to do a pro job with proven products and support.

imo

tiler

H

Highlander

First thing mate your the tiler not the customer it is not up to the customer to tell you how much sealer to put on. Remember that from now on as you have found it has come back and bit you.

I used to use HG and it can be nasty stuff if used incorrectly same as all sealers. I use Aquamix now all the time, their Enrich n seal is the best sealer on the market as far as I am concerned and best thing is you can treat the floor and it does not overcome you with fumes.

Well if it has now hardened onto the Travertine it will be fun and games to try and remove the excess try the HG sealer remover and see if it helps you will have to keep agitaing it and not let it dry out as it will cause you even more problems.

I had to look at a floor once where the tiler had used an LTP product and the product had dried patchy on the travertine would not come back with their remover in the end we used cellulose thinners used in car spraying and this removed most of the excess but wouldnot recommend this if you are not experienced due to high flash point and you need to work quick and wash of quickly.

Try the HG stuff first.

The key to working with sealers is do small areas a a time dont allow it to dwell to long wipe of excess with a cotton rag then dry with another clean rag.

Gary

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
ive only used hg sealers also so far ,but found on tiles if its excess isnt removed its like varnish,not to keen on the stuff and am going to try different makes next i think.

Reply to over applied sealer problem in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen