Search the forum,

Discuss newbie - Hi to all and a question about undermounted basin top in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

timb138

Hi All,

Have used this forum for research for a while now and have been impressed with the helpful advice provided so wondered if you have any ideas on my latest project.

We have a 3m square bathroom which had a lot of wasted space as the stairway came up through the corner and to the full height of the room loosing about 900mm x 1.5m of space. I put my designing hat on and have taken down the wall above the stairs and followed the stair angle so we have a 43 degree slope reaching up to about 1m from the floor at its highest point, I have created a box over this slope and bought an undermounted sink to go in it. to make best use of space I have framed out a 400mm deep cupboard behind the sink which will have mirrored doors.

This has left a small countertop 650mm wide by 600 long which the undermounted basin is sitting in. I was intending to have a marble or granite top and cut out the basin hole (nightmare job I now but I have diamond cutters etc from when I did the kitchen granite top in a similar way).

Question is, as the top is the same size-ish as a 610 square tile (with a thich upstand or small shelf could I cut out and radius a natural tile for the top instead of wasting a large chunk of granite (I cant find anyone selling granite or marble in such a small quantity).

The rest of the wetroom (which is what I`m creating BTW) is planned on being tiled in travertine (dark on the walls and ivory for floor) so it would look good if the top was the same colour as the floor I`m not sure whether the travertine would be strong enough to survive the cutting and afterwards teenagers leaning or probably sitting on it when they have a party!

The counter-top is well strutted out and I`m using 20mm orbry board as a base.

Any advice on materials for the top would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Tim

D

DHTiling

hello17.gif

Tony73

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hello and :welcome:. Stone companies should be able to get you any size vanity top. How thick is your tile? i would not go for less than 20mm thick. And yes you could make cut out for wash basin. You just need template (template supplied when buy new basin), can make template out of hardboard or 4mm MDF etc.

T

timb138

Thanks for the rousing welcomes and thanks in particular to AliGage and Tony73 for your advice, yes I have called around a few stone merchants in the area and the offcuts are available quite cheaply but as soon as the basin cutout is mentioned the costs triple so I may end up doing it myself again:yikes:.

I haven't had any dealings with the Sorana tops but after talking to magnet they are on a 5-7 week back order and the shortest length available is 1200mm so there goes the cost advantage. Looking at the samples they appear to scratch quite easily and dull off quite quickly but if anyone in the south has a 600 offcut lying around then please let me know.

Cheers

Reply to newbie - Hi to all and a question about undermounted basin top in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Hi, I have a small en-suite 1200 x 2400, with a 1200 x 900mm linear drain tray which will have...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen