Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Newbie after advice in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi guys, new to the forum and after some advice if possible.
Without boring you with my life story I am mid 30’s and have worked the same job (cnc machinist) since leaving school and am looking for a change in career. My current shift pattern allows me alot of time of and I have realised that if i want a change then now is the best time to do it. Time of to learn whilst still employed as apposed to being out of work and having to learn a new trade because i need to. Is there anyone on here who has successfully changed career and is doing well? My plan was to firstly do a training course ideally in scotland, i am from fife but willing to travel. Any recommendations? Something that crossed my mind was is there still a demand for tilers? No disrespect to any trade but has times changed where plumbers now fit bathrooms on there own, without joiners, plasterers or tilers? Not the jack of all trades master of non type but i have seen many stunning bathrooms done by a single plumber without the use of another trade. Course wise obviously a 3 week course is not going to make me a pro tiler and im under no illusion it will be plain sailing. I respect all trades and know there is nothing worse than someone doing a fast track course and thinks there are the dogs ********. However we need to start somewhere right? Even the best tilers started somewhere. There will be some who say do an apprenticeship however i have a family to support so this is out of the question as couldnt survive on apprentice wages. I would be happy to shadow/ labour/ watch a local tiler in action but surely nobody in the trade would be willing to let someone come and learn the tricks of the trade of them to then go away and start doing the same job in the same area. Excuse the long post, i have only just looked up from the keyboard and noticed i have written story here, my bad. If you are still reading this then i appreciate any input, criticism, questions and or comments you may have. Any advice would be appreciated also. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Hey Darren
Thanks for the life story.🙂 I can feel your pain. I too had a complete change of career from aviation to tile. I had done tile in the past and had some training having done a C&G in bricklaying.
I was lucky enough to be taken on as a tiler for a local plumber here in Guernsey. The biggest thing for me was getting up to speed on the new products and laying the tiles, a lot had changed in 15 years.
Doing a course will help give you the basics. Also there is a lot of information on Youtube which can help with techniques and the correct ways to installing tiles. The tooling can also be a bit of a daunting issue but stick to the basics and learn to use your cutters first, it doesn't matter too much which ones you choose, its what you can afford.
For me, the trick is planning the jobs, ie layout and what will look right. If you set the levels and check all of your measurements it will pay off. The important thing is to check that the walls and floors are square and level and you check the height of the room in each corner. It seems quite daunting and there is so much to take in. You will be slow to start off, but as you get used to working with the tools and different tiles it will get easier.
Not sure what the demand is up in Fife with regards to work and demand for tilers. It might be better trying to get work with a builder, new builds are easier to tile in general and you can build up your experience.
Ask the Mrs if she fancies a new bathroom and have a go. 😉
Good luck.

Aub188

-
Reaction score
Hi Darren

I was a asbestos removal supervisor and changed to tile after wanting to do it for years. Glad I did started working for myself and work has been steady, went round the local area last week giving out cards etc and they all said we can never get a tiler and I've had a good few calls from that already. Also might be handy for you to know this because I'm in Fife and funnily enough my name is also Darren.

faceman

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hi Darren, get yourself on LinkedIn and Instagram and find companies and people in your area that look good to you. Even if you offered up your services free for a very short time to get a foot in the door and get a free education. If you were in the midlands i’d snap your hand off. There’s tons of work and not enough people coming through so be confident. You’re at the right age in my opinion to really make progress quick. Hope that helps

Reply to Newbie after advice in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock