Search the forum,

Discuss New Bathroom project some advice please? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

Sloter

Hi Guys and Girls,

I'm looking into redoing my bathroom at home. I have been and got some quotes but unfortunately they are coming in well above my budget. The quotes all seem to be quoting RRP on all the bits when with very little effort I can save 30% to 50% and on some parts 80% just by looking around. And I am then being quoted * to * for the installation! The room is approx 3m x 3m and I’m opting for a shower, toilet and sink configuration with wet room and simple 1 piece of 10mm glass to separate the shower area to the rest of the room.

I have never done a full bathroom only ever a downstairs toilet area. I am a fairly competent DIYer but I am thinking of getting a good tiler to come and do the tiling as I think they will have that done in much less time than it would probably take me. I am a bit of a perfectionist and it will probably take me to long especially as it’s my only bathroom.
So I have a few questions,

1, What is the best wet room tanking/tray system to go for? I have read so much and it just seems like a minefield. Some trays screw to the floor others don’t, some you use a roller and roll the gray presumably rubber based solution out others you put down a membrane etc.

2, I would really like to go for underfloor heating I know it might be a bit of a luxury but I’d rather do it now than wishing I had after the event but I’m just wondering from what I have read you are best putting a self leveling screed over the top of the element once it’s down but if I do this will this not be a problem in the wet/shower tray area as I thought was meant to slope towards the drain and will this not mess that up? Am I better off using the matt style underfloor or the all on 1 roll style? Is there much of a difference? Is one better than the other?

Thanks in advance I’m sure I’ll have a load more questions as time goes on.

Last edited by a moderator:

gamma38

TF
Reaction score
My advise would be to go back and speak to the trades and tell them you have found the materials cheaper. Could they just wrote Labour only. Most will be more than happy to do so. There are so many problems you could come up against with your project. Leave it to professionals and you will get the result you require.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I'd actually tell you just to get the gear yourself and I'd do it on a price,but I'd also tell you I will not guarantee your materials as they are most prob cheap tat from the Internet,I'd still do the job,but when the materials fail I'd be ignoring your phone calls ;)

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Most people think that when fitting a bathroom it's a quick job and the only materials needed are the sanitary ware. , looks like you want the trades on here to tell you how to do and what to buy, but that info is really part of what you are paying for.
But I'm sure if you ask the fitter to do labour only, he would do so. But don't be surprised at the list of materials needed.

T

Time's Ran Out

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your project . My advice would be to wait until you have the budget to do the job properly as any DIY of this wet room is unlikely to be successful - so as they say - I'am out!

Reply to New Bathroom project some advice please? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen