Discuss need info on installing and sealing Basalt tile in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

donp

Hi there.

I would like to know what is the correct procedure when it comes to installing Basalt Honed stones. what products too.

I have previously installed using ASA conflex mortar, ASA grout. sealed after grouting. with mediocre results. Did also have problems with some kind of white stain coming from the grout lines in some ares, which I had to sand. so I sealed with aquamix penetrating sealer.

I would like to know how I go about installing these tiles for the best results that will last a long time. eg. sealing before or after installation on the stone. What products are recommended?

I've heard of stain removers? stop stain, if anyone can help me out on that. The problem I think is that the stone is stored outdoors therefore I it is collecting alot of moisture and there are some very 'dark' stains. does this have to be removed before sealing ? and will a stain remover do this? or do all tiles have to be cleaned with a cleaner?

Any info appreciated, thank in advance!

D

DHTiling

I would normally seal Basalt before grouting.. these lava stones can be difficult to get clean from grouting.. The white staining sounds more like efflorescence and can be sorted no probs..

You can ask over at TTA ( Oz forum) for members in OZ who use the products you mention. Tile Forum | Tile Talk | Tile Talk Forums

D

donp

seal before or after or installing? and how about cleaning?

It would be good if i could have the darker stain remove prior to sealing as it would be very hard once sealed.

thanks

Reply to need info on installing and sealing Basalt tile in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Marley