Search the forum,

Discuss Need advice on tiles and adhesive for a fireplace with rising damp in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

J

jbovey

We have a fireplace (housing a wood-burning stove) that has significant rising damp. It is constructed of brick, rendered and plastered - the brick is too uneven to just leave bare. We have tried twice to have the rising damp cured with an injected damp-course but without success so we would like to try finishing the room-facing parts in some way that will tolerate the damp. Can anyone advise on whether ceramic tiles would be feasable. My feeling is that some kind of breathable tile might do best but I have no idea what kind of tile to look for or what kind of adhesive to use. The walls do not directly face the stove so they get warm rather than hot.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Cement-based adhesive will cope with damp. And a stone of some form would breath better than ceramic or porcelain. Double check with Mapei to see what adhesive the recommend. And perhaps the lads on here can also recommend what to get, I'm sure some of them would have been faced with a similar problem before now.

Reply to Need advice on tiles and adhesive for a fireplace with rising damp in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen