Search the forum,

Discuss My wetroom journey in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

V

vala

I do prefer the orbry linear drain former however the only thing that is an issue is the former's are 30mm as opposed to the 20mm of the Marmox.
The existing floor should be up this weekend. If I could remove 10mm underneath where the former would sit I will definitely consider the Orbry equivalent.
I'd like to stick to the 30mm joist to finished floor height as this will then be the same across the whole first floor (whether it be tiles or wood flooring).

*Edit* looking at my specs for the flooring (over tiles and wood) I could get up to 40mm by increasing the thickness of the ply and insulation boards. I'll see what my existing top tread is of my staircase and take it from there.

V

vala

Orbry - can you tell me if your heating mats are ok to run off one thermostat even though some of it will be under tiles (in the wetroom) and the rest under wood flooring?
I'm pretty sure I've only got 9-10sqm of underfloor heating on my first floor (can confirm over the weekend). I was planning on having the sensor under the wood flooring in the landing.
I understand that tiles may be harder to warm up but surely if the sensor is under the wood flooring once it hits it temp it the tiled area will be slightly cooler.

O

Orbry

We wouldn't recommend it as the sensor should be under the flooring it will be heating. It shouldn't cause any problems apart from the low heat under the tiles, but the efficiency and performance would be better if an additional separate one was used for the tiles.

V

vala

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Well this weekend has passed and I managed to get some work down on my wetroom on the Sunday (unfortunately had to work the Saturday).
So by end of play Sunday I got the tiles and shower tray out and also pulled down the ceiling. I'm also ripping out the 2 other rooms and the landing but will concentrate on just the wetroom in this thread.
This weekend (and all now till end of Sept) I'll be working on the wetroom and other areas so am hoping to get more done per day.
Plan for this weekend in the wetroom is to rip up the floor, remove the loft insulation and remove the partition walls. I need to drain my immersion tank ready for removal as I decided this weekend to accelerate the purchase of a zip tap for my kitchen. The basin will now have hot water fed via a Zip ES3 water heater so by getting the Zip tap for the kitchen means I can get rid of the tank in the loft and some of the plumbing.
Fingers crossed the whole floor is ready for the week after when I can get on with installing stuff rather then removing!

Last edited by a moderator:
P

p4ulo

Oh lovely pictures, jeez, looks like you are gonna end up with a total shell before you start building it up again.
Good plans......Zip Tap sounds exciting!

Whilst you are stripped back as far as this, make sure you think about any feature lighting and routing wires for them all now. Even mirrors have lights, and some have back-heated mirrors to combat misting up.
Have you bought your plumbing stuff yet?
I use Victoria Plumb an awful lot, but have also had very good results on Ebay buying Victoria Plumb fittings which people can't be bothered to return.......

V

vala

Oh lovely pictures, jeez, looks like you are gonna end up with a total shell before you start building it up again.
Good plans......Zip Tap sounds exciting!

Haha! Yes basically I'm looking at a shell then rebuilding. There isn't much upstairs anyway as I only moved in back in December 2014 and it was always on the cards.
The Zip Tap idea unfortunately has been shelved. It was my plan all along however due to it being accelerated (initially it was supposed to be fitted when I do the lower ground) I've looked at the finances and an extra £3k for the tap is just not good financial sense at the moment.
So I'm going to get another Zip ES3 for the kitchen.

P

p4ulo

Good call, £3k for a tap is a bit bonkers.
I edited my post since your reply, just giving Victoria Plumb props for cheap and sexy bathroom stuff in case you are looking?

V

vala

I've got shower head, basin tap, toilet, cistern, electric shower already. Basin I'll be making out of Corian.
Yes i'll be sorting the electrics out for this floor whilst it's empty. Should make it a heck of a lot easier with running cables etc should more be needed.

V

vala

image.jpg
Well this weekend has passed and yesterday I cracked on with the plan of removing the timber stud work, flooring and ceiling insulation. Failed on 2 small areas of flooring (beneath where the shower was and a section at the top of the stairs).
Plan was to remove these last bits today however got carried away with the booze last night and have been in no fit state all day to do any work! They're nothing major and I'll probably head over one evening this week and remove them.
It's allowed me to assess any pipe work and electrical feeds that may need relocating. Also it's confirmed I can go with the Orbry former.
Plan for the coming weekend is to remove the pipe work for the immersion tank. Aiming to also run a new waste for the shower and possible renew the existing waste for the basin. The Zip ES3 requires a cold water feed so it looks like I'll have to tee off the existing one. The current cold water feed for the shower runs up into the ceiling (by the toilet waste) and across but I'm hoping to change this to beneath the floor. Lastly I'll be clearing all the rubbish between the joists and will make a start on fitting noggins.
Anyone got any advice on what I could do to sort out where some of the bricks have broken? I think it would be wise to have these filled it solid so when the boards fit around it that adhere in all areas.

Reply to My wetroom journey in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen