Search the forum,

Discuss Mosaics next to a cut in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

brk1

I have a shelf at the tap end of my bath ,I wish to run one line of mosaics right next to the bath for a bit of colour but they will meet up with a cut tile to keep in course ,is this alright or will the water get in, all mosaic's on the wall are next to the machine edge/glaze so are sealed up as good as possible ,will the cut edge let in water ?

D

DHTiling

Not if you grout it......but all grout ( unless epoxy) will let water in to a degree.....

Just leave a suitable space between the mosaic and the tile edge and grout....just make sure the cut edge is not proud of the mosaic.....
Can't really advise another way as we can't see what you can....:)

G

GazTech

If you run a mosaic next to a cut edge of a tile, raise the mosaic edge just above the cut edge, so there is no way of cutting fingers.....Gaz

G

grumpygrouter

You could also run a wet stone along the edge of the cut tiles (gently) to remove the sahrp edge before you fix your mosaic.

D

DHTiling

You could also run a wet stone along the edge of the cut tiles (gently) to remove the sahrp edge before you fix your mosaic.

You can yes....but be careful not to expose the tiles biscuit ( on the tile face) as the grout won't hide it........:thumbsup:

B

brk1

Thanks for answers , I've been using a set of those cheap diamond sharpening stones ( 3 for a £5 - fine ,med & coarse) that you can get , they're 6" x 2" and work a treat on the cut edges of tiles , you can basically file the edges 100 % flat with those or actually reduce the tile size by a couple of mm if you need too and carefully remove the sharp edge without exposing the tiles biscuit . I just use them wet on the edge of a bucket of water and rub , I just didn't want to make the edge of the tile a water magnet knowing they were going to sit on the ply shelf behind the taps :thumbsup:

G

GazTech

Thanks for answers , I've been using a set of those cheap diamond sharpening stones ( 3 for a £5 - fine ,med & coarse) that you can get , they're 6" x 2" and work a treat on the cut edges of tiles , you can basically file the edges 100 % flat with those or actually reduce the tile size by a couple of mm if you need too and carefully remove the sharp edge without exposing the tiles biscuit . I just use them wet on the edge of a bucket of water and rub , I just didn't want to make the edge of the tile a water magnet knowing they were going to sit on the ply shelf behind the taps :thumbsup:
if possible, slightly angle the shelf down toward to the bath, this will stop water settling on it.......Gaz :yes:

B

brk1

It is angled slightly ,the water won't sit there but the 25 different bottles of shampoo that the wife thinks she's going to put back on top would :lol::lol::lol: . I got news for her :thumbsup:

Reply to Mosaics next to a cut in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen