Search the forum,

Discuss Mosaics + chrome pencil trim in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

H

Hop

I have tiled My shower area using 600 x 600 quartz - I had a piece of full height mdf cut which would give me a central recess to fit a vertical glass mosaic band from the shower tray to ceiling with the mixer pipes central (with me so far?)

Anyway Granirapid now set (first use and seems a superb product at sticking stuff but hard to work (could me just being a wimp))MDF board now removed, nothing fell off & central column exposed with just tanking showing between tiles - all well and good but I've read the threads about mosaics being smaller thickness's than the tiles and they are so will probably attempt the dog toothing approach

But here is the problem - wifey want's the mosaic bounded by chrome pencil trims - so I had worked out the spacing as edge of tile >2mm grout +9mm trim +2mm grout + mosaic either side but she also wants the first grout line
between tile & trim to be white and then between the trim and the mosaic to be grey to match the mosaic grout ... which presents an issue about the best way to stick the tile trim in with white adhesive and then use grey adhesive for the mosaic block
Much pondering about whether to go and get the mdf strip re cut for the mosaic + grout width and then refit just for sticking the chrome trim in (seems a bit of a palaver) versus using all white adhesive for everything and hope the grey grout will mask the white adhesive under the mosaics

Any alternatives - would white grout mask grey adhesive if I went full width ?

beanz

TF
Reaction score
Why are you using MDF in a wet area!?! I'm a little confused by your terminology!?! What is this central column!?! Have you got any photos???

H

Hop

The MDF was only used as a temp spacer to tile up to - instead of central column think central border ...except it's vertical ... if I post photos you'll all laugh at an amateurs efforts :grin:

R

roafy

He used the mdf to fill the gap between his tiles then removed now he wants to fix mosaic in the gap

L

lmkitchens

He's using the MDF to keep the space he has calculated square and empty. Not tiling onto it.

beanz

TF
Reaction score
Ah! Got ya.. Makes sense to me now.. What's stopping you from just fitting the trim, then dog toothing? There's also a thread from a while ago, where someone used an off-cut of Ditra matting, to pad a similar area out, then fixed the mosaics to that.. ;)

S

Stef

Ah! Got ya.. Makes sense to me now.. What's stopping you from just fitting the trim, then dog toothing? There's also a thread from a while ago, where someone used an off-cut of Ditra matting, to pad a similar area out, then fixed the mosaics to that.. ;)

That was Bri that came up with that with the Ditra off cut.
I tried fitting rips of 4mm Wedi board to the walls then sticking in the mosaic but the mosaic was thicker than I realised, I ended up just dog toothing the mosaics in..

H

Hop

Well....I tried the dog toothing and it didn't work out that well :oops: so went back to building the level up with adhesive and a final coat - not entirely even but thankfully the mosaics has texture / different thickness's so overall quite pleased with the way it's turned out... except for major moose up on the internal shower corner :thumbsdown: when I laid the 600x600 wall tiles I did 2 tiles below the mdf board in one go - I then did above the mdf (1.5 tiles) at a later date the internal corner runs to an external corner and my focus on both sets of tiles was to keep the external corner aligned - what I failed to spot was the internal corner was not equal all the way up to the ceiling so with the external corner aligned the is a 12mm gap between the last tile and the other wall on the top 1.5 tiles - I've been pondering the best way to correct this - I bought a Genesis internal corner trim but it's about 2mm to short to cover the gap up - looking for a plan B - could cut slivers to fit in the gap on the top tiles - or does anyone know of an aluminium profile bigger than the Genesis Internal jobbie or any other suggestions?
I'd post pictures but I tried and gave up after about the 5th effort to compress / reduce the size to acceptable limits

Reply to Mosaics + chrome pencil trim in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen