Search the forum,

Discuss Mortar beds on walls and floors? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

2Balls

Cant wait to see it but why sand & cement ?
Lucius

Why sand and cement? The surface does`nt have to be Flat,You don`t need a Plasterer, you don`t need a Dryliner.Material costs are cheaper,good for cellars ect that suffer from Flooding, the list goes on.Ask a Roman. Last but not least it is traditonal, it come before Airfix(sarcasm)

:smilewinkgrin:2Balls

lucius

TF
Reaction score
Hi 2 Balls got to agree with what you say, ime into old school work myself worked on lots of old buildings over the years with a 5 year stint on a country estate cant remember exactly now but something like 10 farms and 200 houses between 1500ad up to Victorian but most were Georgian and many were listed, and of course my 200 year old house in Spain.When i did my tiling course in Australia in 1981 the first 2 weeks were tiling with sand and cement when i asked the instructor why we were doing this, dont get me wrong i was realy interested, he said this method will get you over the worst wall you will come across which is quite correct, a couple of times over the years i have come across situations where i could have done it but up till now i havent now looking for the next opportunity to give it a go just to prove i can still do it could be years though till i get a chance.
Lucius

S

Spud

here are a few pics as promised i havent fixed like this for a while and need to pick up my speed ,i will post some more when the room is completed

Last edited by a moderator:

lucius

TF
Reaction score
This is the bit i dont get its far quicker to go over scratch coat and dubb out to flatten the wall than back butter all them tiles, well it is for me anyway, looks cold their mate.
Lucius

R

Rob Z

Hi Gary,

It's :thumbsup: to see other methods being used. Is that mud scratched directly on the block? Do you use a bonder to stick the scratch coat to the block? I don't think we have ever gone right over the scratch coat with the tile or stone, always have floated the second layer first, then set the tile.

lucius

TF
Reaction score
Ho Rob thats the point ime making a float coat laid flat and plumb over the scratch coat and then tiles laid in addy to me seems quicker than the trad method on an area that big but i may be wrong.If the blocks are concrete or clinker they dont need anything on them just a wetting down before scratching other type of blocks may need SBR before scratching.
Lucius

Reply to Mortar beds on walls and floors? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen