Search the forum,

Discuss Metro tiles grout size for a London Underground look in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com.

That sounds pretty cool! make sure you come back and show us please 😁

You just need to source a wonky bench and some yellow & black tape now 🤣

Also google Glasgows underground map and compare it to London if you want a giggle 🤭

Will do.
I'm sure yellow and black tape would be easy to find. It might really tie the room together. 😂

I've seen the Glasgow subway map before. The orange line. :)

It would emulate the underground ,as you d never notice the difference ,what colour is the grout ,you know

The grout would be grey, not too dark grey but kind of darkish grey.
[automerge]1571391794[/automerge]
why not go the whole hog and have an extinction rebellion move in !

I'll have a cardboard cutout made. A couple of cardboard protesters to complete the look. :tearsofjoy:

Before I'd seen @Protiler 68 's and @MissTiler 's posts, I told my tiler to go for the 3mm spacers. And then, while I was thinking about whether to go for 2mm after all he had already started installing them. So now it's 3mm. But when I saw them it kind of looked like 4mm almost. In some places it even was 4mm. Here are some pictures, it is not yet finished of course. My only worry is that the spacing will appear even larger when the grouting is done. What do you think?

IMG_8419.jpg

IMG_8432.jpg

IMG_8435.jpg

IMG_8436.jpg

IMG_8438.jpg

IMG_8439.jpg

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Personally I think that looks great. I'm certain the underground use the bigger of their options. I guess looking at yours it must be 3mm but looks in places like 4mm, just like yours.

I'd go with that. The grout line looks alright to me. I can't see it looking anything but spot on once the grout is in.

Personally I think that looks great. I'm certain the underground use the bigger of their options. I guess looking at yours it must be 3mm but looks in places like 4mm, just like yours.

I'd go with that. The grout line looks alright to me. I can't see it looking anything but spot on once the grout is in.

Cheers Dan. Thank you for the reply. I'll send some pictures when the grouting is done. :)

My tiler has started putting in the grout, and the grout line looks huge. With the grout in it looks like the spacing between the tiles is 4-5mm. It's so big, I'm considering taking them all down and redoing everything. I'm just waiting for it to be completely grouted and then I will decide, maybe it's just first impression. So far, it's not promising. It was fine before the grout though. Will send pictures as soon as it's done, here are some where it's partially done. You can clearly see the difference between the grouted and ungrouted areas. In person it's much more noticeable though. Cheers!

image0-2.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image6.jpeg

Reply to Metro tiles grout size for a London Underground look in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Replies you've not seen