Discuss Metro tiles grout size for a London Underground look in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Before I'd seen @Protiler 68 's and @MissTiler 's posts, I told my tiler to go for the 3mm spacers. And then, while I was thinking about whether to go for 2mm after all he had already started installing them. So now it's 3mm. But when I saw them it kind of looked like 4mm almost. In some places it even was 4mm. Here are some pictures, it is not yet finished of course. My only worry is that the spacing will appear even larger when the grouting is done. What do you think?

IMG_8419.jpg

IMG_8432.jpg

IMG_8435.jpg

IMG_8436.jpg

IMG_8438.jpg

IMG_8439.jpg

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Personally I think that looks great. I'm certain the underground use the bigger of their options. I guess looking at yours it must be 3mm but looks in places like 4mm, just like yours.

I'd go with that. The grout line looks alright to me. I can't see it looking anything but spot on once the grout is in.

Reaction score
Personally I think that looks great. I'm certain the underground use the bigger of their options. I guess looking at yours it must be 3mm but looks in places like 4mm, just like yours.

I'd go with that. The grout line looks alright to me. I can't see it looking anything but spot on once the grout is in.

Cheers Dan. Thank you for the reply. I'll send some pictures when the grouting is done. :)

Lou

Admin
Staff member
Esteemed
Reaction score
I would love to see that when you have all your signs up and stuff :)

Reaction score
My tiler has started putting in the grout, and the grout line looks huge. With the grout in it looks like the spacing between the tiles is 4-5mm. It's so big, I'm considering taking them all down and redoing everything. I'm just waiting for it to be completely grouted and then I will decide, maybe it's just first impression. So far, it's not promising. It was fine before the grout though. Will send pictures as soon as it's done, here are some where it's partially done. You can clearly see the difference between the grouted and ungrouted areas. In person it's much more noticeable though. Cheers!

image0-2.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image6.jpeg

Reaction score
Some of the older stations with original subway tiles have sand and cement joints bigger than that.

But I think the tiles themselves are bigger also? If I'm not mistaken. This looks bigger than Bond Street/Camden/or Oxford Circus that were supposed to inspire this. Maybe it's not actually bigger, but it looks bigger.

Reaction score
I've measured the grout, it's definitely 4mm now for some reason, somewhere even 5mm. It's not 3mm as I originally wanted. So as a warning to all the people wondering about what spacers to use for bevelled metro tiles, 2mm spacers will give you 3mm grout lines, and 3mm spacers will give you 4mm grout lines. At least in my limited experience.

Reply to Metro tiles grout size for a London Underground look in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks