Discuss Metro tiles grout size for a London Underground look in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I want to do put metro tiles on a wall in my office to emulate a London Underground station look. I'm using regular metro tiles 10cmx20cm, and I'm wondering what size the grout should be. Everybody on the forum recommends 2mm, but I'm wondering if 3mm would more closely emulate the look of the Underground station like Oxford Circus, Notting Hill Gate or Camden Town for example. What do you think and what do you suggest? Here are some inspiration photos.

Thank you all in advance!

6b2e8d45ba35e95174a0468212024815.jpg

bigstock-Subway-Station-31308134.jpg

NGGbench.jpg

Unknown.jpg

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
OOooo I think BAL had the adhesive contract and used (and even contributed towards inventing the product for due to constant vibration of passing trains) BAL Fastflex, and H&R Johnsons installation team (now defunct) won the actual Tiling Contract.

Some guys will still be knocking around who fixed those tiles.

That said, I pointed this out the other day, then @Lou made me realise that the underground has been continually worked on for decades. So it actually could have been anybody from back then until now who had that particular station contract. So not actually as helpful as I'd hoped maybe. :D

It does look way thicker than 2 3 or even 4mm. Maybe 5mm? Maybe more.

I assume to counteract any undulations in tile size difference as they would have used a hell of a lot of batches for the whole underground! And need repair them quite often etc.

The tiles for Notting Hill look not as wide as Oxford too there. Not sure if that's an image-bending thing with the camera lens or they're actually different tile sizes. Maybe one metric one imperial. Not sure.

So I think if you were copying it, you'd have quite a free reign to be honest each station would look a bit different.

Reaction score
Thank you all so much your advice, you are a very kind and friendly bunch. :) I understand that a lot of people on this forum prefer the 2mm that is why I wasn't sure in the first place. And I get it that to some people it looks better, but would it be better at emulating the London Underground kind of vibe? Based on all of your replies I'm guessing that 3mm would be closer to that look.

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
I think you may have to add further features if you want it to have the look of the underground other than the width of the groutline, or will just look like a tiled wall that you see in most kitchens, bathrooms, Restaurant or even public loo's. It's never the thought I ever have when I see these tiles and the grout line wouldn't make me think otherwise 🤷‍♂️.

Perhaps a print of the underground sign?

Reaction score
I think you may have to add further features if you want it to have the look of the underground other than the width of the groutline, or will just look like a tiled wall that you see in most kitchens, bathrooms, Restaurant or even public loo's. It's never the thought I ever have when I see these tiles and the grout line wouldn't make me think otherwise 🤷‍♂️.

Perhaps a print of the underground sign?

Yes yes, sure. I have accumulated some old London Underground signs over the years. I got one in Camden a couple of years ago, also got an old street sign in Covent garden in 2011. I have a lot of stuff, it won't only be the tiles. :) I just wanted to try and make it as authentic as possible.

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
That sounds pretty cool! make sure you come back and show us please 😁

You just need to source a wonky bench and some yellow & black tape now 🤣

Also google Glasgows underground map and compare it to London if you want a giggle 🤭

Reaction score
That sounds pretty cool! make sure you come back and show us please 😁

You just need to source a wonky bench and some yellow & black tape now 🤣

Also google Glasgows underground map and compare it to London if you want a giggle 🤭

Will do.
I'm sure yellow and black tape would be easy to find. It might really tie the room together. 😂

I've seen the Glasgow subway map before. The orange line. :)

Reaction score
It would emulate the underground ,as you d never notice the difference ,what colour is the grout ,you know

The grout would be grey, not too dark grey but kind of darkish grey.
[automerge]1571391794[/automerge]
why not go the whole hog and have an extinction rebellion move in !

I'll have a cardboard cutout made. A couple of cardboard protesters to complete the look. :tearsofjoy:

Reply to Metro tiles grout size for a London Underground look in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks