Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Mapei Pro Standard adhesive (tile giant) in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Johnny

-
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi guys
Is anyone on this forum familiar with Mapei Pro Standard tile https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ from Tile Giant.
Having purchased 7 bags of it today i have noticed that nowhere on the packaging does it state that it is a flexible https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/.
However the guy at Tile Giant assured me it was and it is sold as flexible on the website.
I will be using it to fix 300x600 ceramic tiles to studwork with 12mm no more ply on the walls and 6mm no more ply overboarding a 22mm chipboard floor. The work is in a bathroom with walk in shower and for myself not a paying customer.
I believe its a mapei exclusive for tile giant and i cant find a data sheet or anything for it on there website.I basically just have the guys word that its flexible.
Im a kitchen fitter who does a bit of tile. Im fairly competant but was just hoping somebody in the know can tell me for sure that it is indeed a flexible https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/.
Thanks in advance for your time.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

Use a proper tile backer board rather than 22mm chipboard, or at least 18mm marine ply. Chipboard will swell with moisture.

It doesn't appear to be flexible. So speak to the tile shop and get back to us.

Which store is it that said it's flexible?

Also, it does appear to be fine for either walls or floor, if I've found the right one.

Last edited:
OP
J

Johnny

-
Reaction score

Use a proper tile backer board rather than 22mm chipboard, or at least 18mm marine ply. Chipboard will swell with moisture.

It doesn't appear to be flexible. So speak to the tile shop and get back to us.

Which store is it that said it's flexible?

Also, it does appear to be fine for either walls or floor, if I've found the right one.
I have overboarded the 22mm chipboard with 6mn no more ply.
Yesterday i took it all back and swapped it for keraflex s1.
It struck me as strange that they sell a pro flexible and a pro standard. He was a nice guy and had been very helpful with tiles so i didnt say anything just that i had decided to go wirh keraflex.
He was adamant the pro standard was flexible , but why sell a standard and flexible of the same product if the standard is flexible. I took it back because it just wasnt worth the risk.

I

Ian Mead

I have overboarded the 22mm chipboard with 6mn no more ply.
Yesterday i took it all back and swapped it for keraflex s1.
It struck me as strange that they sell a pro flexible and a pro standard. He was a nice guy and had been very helpful with tiles so i didnt say anything just that i had decided to go wirh keraflex.
He was adamant the pro standard was flexible , but why sell a standard and flexible of the same product if the standard is flexible. I took it back because it just wasnt worth the risk.
Pro standard is sold as flexible on the Web site and the standard stands for standard set, where pro flexible is quick set

I

Ian Mead

Pro standard is sold on the website as flexible, and the standard stands for standard set (slow set) where fro flexible is a quick set tile https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/

Reply to Mapei Pro Standard adhesive (tile giant) in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock