Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Looking at tile levelling clip systems. in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I was sceptical when they first came out, and resisted all I could. Then had a re-think.......and tried them. Use them quite often now 👍👍

Reaction score
I've just seen these level clips. How long have they been around?
What is the technique to line up the tile edges before these clips were invented?

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
level the floor first...

to be fair it's only the size of certain tiles that make them relevant imo. although I see plenty of photos of them being used all the time even with 300x300 tiles....I mean, really!
if you can't lay a 300 tile flat it's time to bury your trowel !

B

Bill

Rectified edges, 1mm joints, uneven substrates, bowed tiles, thin tiles, unequal sized tile dimensions (out of square - not all tiles the same size in the same box/range) adhesive, customer/client need for perfect joint lines - all can produce problems for lip free/joint space tiling.

leveling systems help to stop lips - I, for one, want the clips to be called lip free clips and not leveling clips.

Many moons ago, tiling was done on a thick bed of sand and cement and that meant you could create your own substrate so that your tiles were fixed lip free........also tiles were much smaller and didn't have too much bowing although they were very ambiguous with sizing.

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
level the floor first...

to be fair it's only the size of certain tiles that make them relevant imo. although I see plenty of photos of them being used all the time even with 300x300 tiles....I mean, really!
if you can't lay a 300 tile flat it's time to bury your trowel !

exactly lol , these buggers are 1200 x 200 , I’ve had a chance to view a tile and they are straight, yippie 😁😁

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
laid these 1200x200 without clips, they were £60 a meter but flat as a pancake, it really is all down to the quality of the tile and the substrate imo.
IMG_20190111_103551.jpg

Attachments

• VID-20190914-WA0007.mp4
    11.5 MB

bobbynz

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Now before you say “Dave”! You said you’d never use them 😁.
I’ve got a 100mtr plus of 1200mm high gloss plank tiles to do and i know in my whole honest of deep down thoughts an occasional lip will haunt me , so I’ve been thinking and i do say thinking about a lash type system 😂 , oh go on give me grief now lol.

so the laughs are over. What systems do you recommend.
How thick were the planks?

Reaction score
with these clips, do you need to get the same width as the grout joint or is it ok to use thinner clips along side thicker spacers? e.g. 2mm leveling clip with 4mm spacers...

bigdave1903

TF
Arms
Reaction score
with these clips, do you need to get the same width as the grout joint or is it ok to use thinner clips along side thicker spacers? e.g. 2mm leveling clip with 4mm spacers...
Yeah thinner clips are absolutely fine. I find they tend to snap out easier if they’re smaller.

D

Dumbo

how would clips work with sizey tiles if you have to use spacers with them?
Why would you have to use spacers if you were setting them by eye . I use 1mm clips always and if I was setting sizey tiles I wouldn't be working with joints that tight .

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Why would you have to use spacers if you were setting them by eye . I use 1mm clips always and if I was setting sizey tiles I wouldn't be working with joints that tight .
because alot of people on here say using spacers with clips is a must to stop the clips running the tiles out of line when you tighten them up.

L

LM

how would clips work with sizey tiles if you have to use spacers with them?
Forget about the the clips having a lateral impact so to speak only a vertical one and space the tiles as you normally would to allow for sizing Andy.

Reply to Looking at tile levelling clip systems. in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks