Search the forum,

Discuss Latex Screed? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

cjbombero

Just finishing up a kitchen, bathroom, utility and cloakroom in a redevelopment job and the customer has asked me to re-tile his kichen floor. The room is about 20 sq m with three doorways off of it, He has started to take up some of the existing ceramic tiles and there is a lot of old adhesive left on the concrete substrate.

The guy wants to have 300 x 300 pocelain floor tiles so I think the floor is going to have to be srceeded to give me half a chance (maybe only 3mm just to level the floor out). The problem is I have never done this before and don't want to **** it up!

Any advice on what products to use, how much they cost and how much time I should allow to screed and to dry would be very much apreciated. Also any tips on application would help a lot.

Thanks

cjbombero

T

tile55

A self levelling compound is your answer, cost about £12-£18 pounds for 25kg bags, float over the surface using a flat trowel in an even motion much like spreading tile addy. Leave to go off slightly then sprinkle some water over and smooth over with the trowel.
If you use a rapid setting self leveller you should be able to tile over in a few hours.

If cost is an issue then the wickes self leveller costs about £16 and is quite good.:8:

Andy Tiler

TF
Arms
Reaction score
hi mate the best screed i have used is weber they do all types of screed for all situations. u can contact weber.co.uk(if u contact a weber rep u might get a freebe and a bit of help ) on where to buy. ctd maybe.a 25kg bag will do about 3sqm 3mm thick just mark out 3m bays and pour one bag for this area spread it out with a flat trowel and the best way to get it flat is to buy a spiked screeding roller and roll over the area u have just screeded and do the same with the whole floor :thumbsup:if u want to pm me i can give u numbers

C

cjbombero

Thanks for the replies, a local tile shop near me supplies weber and does a decent trade rate so I will have to go and check it out. I know this isn't the place to discuss pricing but am I right in saying the materials to level would be 7 x 25kg bags of self levelling compound for 20 sq m (3sq @ 3mm per bag)

Thanks

cjbombero

T

tile55

Seems a bit excessive to me 3mm is not a lot.
I would of thought that you would be able to get about 5-6 sq mt out of a 25kg bag.
I can normally get 6 sq mt from a 20 kg bag of tile adhesive when laying tiles.

C

cjbombero

Funny you should mention that as I was considering using a solid bed tipped trowel, are we talking along the same lines here?

Reply to Latex Screed? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen