Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Kitchen tiling: Doing corners with patterned tiles (square) in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Personally I prefer it as @Boggs has tiled it, as it's ment to be a random pattern..
But as in most things tile it's a personal choice....
If a client told me they want a random pattern then that's what they get...

IMG_20180904_131317.jpg

IMG_20180510_143316.jpg

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
A few more for you. A3C64D4E-9FE4-47A3-99AB-570526D5600E.jpeg 0CED0F66-5AEC-4769-B7A9-4D8F5E341945.jpeg 39E37679-DA26-4A6D-AF6F-7EF50CA1130D.jpeg 9B7FC6E3-377C-4637-8830-F123C60B6BF5.jpeg 204125F8-9A9D-4581-A44F-75A8D664BE44.jpeg

The middle tile in the picture above wraps round, only just realised!
For me they look better random but that’s my personal choice and looked better with how my corners were working out.

D

Dumbo

Thanks all.

Ok sounds like I need to start from the center of each wall and work out to the corner.

This would mean the two tiles touching in the corner (same row) don't need to visually form a whole tile and two thin tiles touching will look ok.

The only way I can see to form a whole tile visually in each corner is to start at the beginning of one wall and work all the way around.
You don't need to have 2 thin tiles touching . Let's say you get that if you start with a grout line in the centre so move the tile over half a tile and have the middle of the tile as your centre point then you're cuts into the corner will then be at least over half a tile .

T

Time's Ran Out

I don’t know which DIY school of tile you all went too but it certainly wasn’t on a construction site! Try getting away with not following the ‘pattern’ around the corners with an Architect or designer and see if you get paid. Any decent clerk of works will condem those corners ( but no doubt the customer will stick a microwave in front).
Perhaps aesthetics don’t come into your setting out or is it being lazy.
Now there’s something for all you tilers to disagree with !

W

Waluigi

I don’t think it’s a black and white argument, there are grey areas.

For example, wrapping a tile around a wall should really be done in the correct manner whereby it’s a true wrap of the tile, so it follows how a complete tile would wrap around the wall, not an elongated tile. That said, it’s not always possible to do that. Wrapping a tile around so the pattern follows yet having an unusually long tile one end would look wrong to me. Likewise having a very large cut or almost complete tile in a corner and a slither the other side would also look wrong.

As with all of these things, you make the judgement for each room and each room has its own set of focal points.

I do agree that in certain situations, not wrapping a pattern round a wall would look daft- if you have two half tile cuts in adjacent corners for example.

I don’t have fixed ideas with these things though. Every tile and every scenario is different. Sometimes you have to apply an artistic license to these these.

W

Waluigi

Gotta agree. It’s not a proper pattern wrap. It’s the same tile being followed around the corner. The pattern doesn’t wrap so in this instance I would’ve chosen a different tile on the adjacent wall.

That said, I might give a completely contradictory comment if it were a different tile. Every job is different. Unless you’re on a site doing the same tile in the same kitchen x 50 :D

T

Time's Ran Out

Well it certainly showed who the real tilers are - but that’s what this forum is for - all skill set levels - and plumbers!
I suppose you don’t follow a herringbone or hexagonal tile around a corner either because that would take too much setting out around a room. Just come out with any old cut and tell the customer that’s the best you can do.

Reply to Kitchen tiling: Doing corners with patterned tiles (square) in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
BIG_AL
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock