• Thanks for visiting TilersForums.com, the Tile Advice Forum. It's free to join if you'd like to register and ask a question should you not be able to search for your answers already. :)
UK Pro Tiling Training
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Kitchen tiling: Doing corners with patterned tiles (square) in the DIY Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

The Wetroom Store - TilersForums.com Sponsor
Hi All,

I'm about to start my first tiling job (at home) and after thinking about steps have a few questions regarding corners (inner corner(s).

I have 5 msq area to cover, and my tiles are square, each box of tiles contains 5 different patterns, below is an image of the patterned tiles.

Q1: Should I start from the middle of the wall and go out to edges? This might end up with half a tile when it meets the corner, should I put a complete tile on the other side of the corner, or go for another half which would visually look like a whole tile going round the corner?

My thought is if I follow the rule of going from the middle on all walls, I could end up with strips meeting at the corner and not looking like it forms a whole tile as it goes round the corner, but visually this might not even matter? But im guessing in the world of tiling it defiantly does.

My other thought was maybe its better to start at the beginning of one wall with a complete tile and follow it all the way round the 3 walls, in this case I would get a complete tile look all the way around.

Q2: Because there are multiple patterned tiles, I would assume its a must to pattern match the tile in corners? If I go for working from middle out and end up with half a tile at the corner, the other half tile that connects to it on the other wall should match the same pattern.

Apologies for the basic questions, I have looked on youtube and forums, with no luck on my pattern issue in corners.

Thanks for any direction/advice on the above.

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Advent Win
Reactions
4,367 19
I didn’t wrap the tile round on my kitchen, as I couldn’t get half a tile each side it made the corner tiles look longer and I preferred it this way visually. 5D7656FE-50C1-410E-BA70-BFFE2200C8DE.jpeg
DCD439C2-69D5-412A-83F5-0D4EA324F11D.jpeg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I didn’t wrap the tile round on my kitchen, as I couldn’t get half a tile each side it made the corner tiles look longer and I preferred it this way visually. View attachment 104778
View attachment 104777
Thank you very much for sharing, the tile and job looks superb. I've taken note here of what you have done in corner and most likely will follow the same idea.

P.s you literally couldn't have supplied a better response.

If you have a hob and cooker hood, it looks best to centre this as it's your main focal point..
So you are spot on, I'm going to try and remove the cooker hood and chimney so I can tile behind.

Are you saying use the center of the hob as the middle?

Thanks

Steve Eldredge

TF
Supporter
Reactions
37 1
What member type are you?
Professional Wall and Floor Tiler
So you are spot on, I'm going to try and remove the cooker hood and chimney so I can tile behind.

Are you saying use the center of the hob as the middle?

Thanks
Find the centre line down from the hood and use that as your centre.

Thanks all.

Ok sounds like I need to start from the center of each wall and work out to the corner.

This would mean the two tiles touching in the corner (same row) don't need to visually form a whole tile and two thin tiles touching will look ok.

The only way I can see to form a whole tile visually in each corner is to start at the beginning of one wall and work all the way around.

W

Waluigi

Ah well, won’t be inviting you for dinner then...
I think you get away with it as the right hand wall has a full tile in the corner, hence you have nothing to wrap around.

Unless of course you changed the layout on the right wall to wrap the pattern round but that’s beyond what I can see. I think it looks fine regardless.

Sorry to keep posting but want to get this right.

You can see from my diagram if I work from the center of each wall it's possible to get two small tiles meeting in the corner - in this situation a complete tile in the corner is unachievable.

IMG_20190220_234405.jpg

W

Waluigi

......then wrap the tile pattern round the wall in the shaded area of your drawing.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Advent Win
Reactions
18,218 183
Personally I prefer it as @Boggs has tiled it, as it's ment to be a random pattern..
But as in most things tiling it's a personal choice....
If a client told me they want a random pattern then that's what they get...

IMG_20180904_131317.jpg

IMG_20180510_143316.jpg

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Advent Win
Reactions
4,367 19
A few more for you.A3C64D4E-9FE4-47A3-99AB-570526D5600E.jpeg0CED0F66-5AEC-4769-B7A9-4D8F5E341945.jpeg 39E37679-DA26-4A6D-AF6F-7EF50CA1130D.jpeg9B7FC6E3-377C-4637-8830-F123C60B6BF5.jpeg 204125F8-9A9D-4581-A44F-75A8D664BE44.jpeg

The middle tile in the picture above wraps round, only just realised!
For me they look better random but that’s my personal choice and looked better with how my corners were working out.

jcrtiling

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reactions
4,488 57 1
Thanks all.

Ok sounds like I need to start from the center of each wall and work out to the corner.

This would mean the two tiles touching in the corner (same row) don't need to visually form a whole tile and two thin tiles touching will look ok.

The only way I can see to form a whole tile visually in each corner is to start at the beginning of one wall and work all the way around.
You don't need to have 2 thin tiles touching . Let's say you get that if you start with a grout line in the centre so move the tile over half a tile and have the middle of the tile as your centre point then you're cuts into the corner will then be at least over half a tile .

timeless john

Staff member
Esteemed
Supporter
Arms
Reactions
16,087 152 1
I don’t know which DIY school of tiling you all went too but it certainly wasn’t on a construction site! Try getting away with not following the ‘pattern’ around the corners with an Architect or designer and see if you get paid. Any decent clerk of works will condem those corners ( but no doubt the customer will stick a microwave in front).
Perhaps aesthetics don’t come into your setting out or is it being lazy.
Now there’s something for all you tilers to disagree with !

W

Waluigi

I don’t think it’s a black and white argument, there are grey areas.

For example, wrapping a tile around a wall should really be done in the correct manner whereby it’s a true wrap of the tile, so it follows how a complete tile would wrap around the wall, not an elongated tile. That said, it’s not always possible to do that. Wrapping a tile around so the pattern follows yet having an unusually long tile one end would look wrong to me. Likewise having a very large cut or almost complete tile in a corner and a slither the other side would also look wrong.

As with all of these things, you make the judgement for each room and each room has its own set of focal points.

I do agree that in certain situations, not wrapping a pattern round a wall would look daft- if you have two half tile cuts in adjacent corners for example.

I don’t have fixed ideas with these things though. Every tile and every scenario is different. Sometimes you have to apply an artistic license to these these.

W

Waluigi

Gotta agree. It’s not a proper pattern wrap. It’s the same tile being followed around the corner. The pattern doesn’t wrap so in this instance I would’ve chosen a different tile on the adjacent wall.

That said, I might give a completely contradictory comment if it were a different tile. Every job is different. Unless you’re on a site doing the same tile in the same kitchen x 50 :D

timeless john

Staff member
Esteemed
Supporter
Arms
Reactions
16,087 152 1
Well it certainly showed who the real tilers are - but that’s what this forum is for - all skill set levels - and plumbers!
I suppose you don’t follow a herringbone or hexagonal tile around a corner either because that would take too much setting out around a room. Just come out with any old cut and tell the customer that’s the best you can do.

B

Blunt Tool

Here’s my 50 cent you gotta rap or else you’re crap but don’t rave if you can hide it behind the microwave

W

WetSaw

If you can get random pattern tiles to wrap in every corner of the room I'll get you to pick my lottery numbers because you must be the luckiest person alive!

W

Waluigi

........and of course line up with the centre of the Hob too!

I’m not suggesting for one second that not wrapping is the way to go or indeed that wrapping is the way to go. I’m simply suggesting that it’s not a black and white argument. Sometimes you need to have an open mind. If you don’t then you become a Dinosaur.

B

Blunt Tool

E0973D93-97A9-4691-B62B-0D88F03C7098.jpeg
........and of course line up with the centre of the Hob too!

I’m not suggesting for one second that not wrapping is the way to go or indeed that wrapping is the way to go. I’m simply suggesting that it’s not a black and white argument. Sometimes you need to have an open mind. If you don’t then you become a Dinosaur.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Advent Win
Reactions
18,218 183
To many tilers doing there repetitive Victorian floors and not knowing the true meaning of the word 'random'....:rolleyes:

timeless john

Staff member
Esteemed
Supporter
Arms
Reactions
16,087 152 1
FD199145-1764-4FBF-8B40-25C8A5F1DCA1.png @Andy Allen - I know exactly what random means and those are not ‘random’ - without forethought or attention .
But that’s not the issue - those corners defy logic - to turn out work like that is akin to DIY.

Over 4-5 tiles on a splash back your customers can hide it as with the bottle of wine. But show us your fully tiled bathroom walls with this careless setting out.

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Advent Win
Reactions
4,367 19
View attachment 104833 @Andy Allen - I know exactly what random means and those are not ‘random’ - without forethought or attention .
But that’s not the issue - those corners defy logic - to turn out work like that is akin to DIY.

Over 4-5 tiles on a splash back your customers can hide it as with the bottle of wine. But show us your fully tiled bathroom walls with this careless setting out.

So how would you set it out then John?

4 inch tiles, that wall being the main focal point as it’s part of the range cooker over mantle.
The cuts you see are over half a tile, the other tiles are full tiles as the mantle was built to accommodate them and the grout joints.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Advent Win
Reactions
18,218 183
View attachment 104833 @Andy Allen - I know exactly what random means and those are not ‘random’ - without forethought or attention .

Sorry john, but I'm going to have to disagree with you on this.
And as there is no ' god of tiling ' hand book, stating exactly how this should be done, then it's all just your opinion.

And opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one ! :)

And my opinion is, I don't like it wrapped round, I prefer to see it random, on this particular tile.

timeless john

Staff member
Esteemed
Supporter
Arms
Reactions
16,087 152 1
@Andy Allen - I haven’t and I won’t ‘disagree ‘ with any of your posts as it all about doing it correct and a Tiler should know this. The others aren’t worth the effort.
I’d be embarrassed to show those corners and it’s typical of a pretender to our trade to believe that it’s the correct way of doing it and advising a DIYer to copy it as an acceptable way to set out a project.
I’am still waiting for 1 of you 4 who repeatedly disagree to show your method in a full bathroom setting.
You say it’s not a written rule. I doubt if any of you have done a tiling apprenticeship in which case you’d all know how to set out a room.
If you read the OP opening post he’s telling you the correct way because that’s what he believes should happen - then you get these ‘tilers’ pictures showing him DIY blunders! It’s a pattern tile - you follow the pattern round the corner - no wonder our trade fights to gain credibility.

Plan Tec Tiling

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reactions
14,508 49
I quite like the random look, it suits the tile after all. I personally would probably match it. Is it wrong?...no. Would I do it that way in a customer's house?...quite possibly yes depending on the customers wishes. I've been asked to do far far worse!
Just showed Mrs Plan Tec and she prefers the random look. Just showed the cat and he started licking himself.
Horses for courses I say!

Reply to Kitchen tiling: Doing corners with patterned tiles (square) in the DIY Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

UK Pro Tiling Training

New Threads (Sitewide)

uHeat Official Forum Sponsor for Underfloor Heating (Electric and Wet)
Top Bottom

Use TilersForums.com to find Tiling Jobs or your Local Tilers for free. Get tiling tools at the best prices via the forum.