Search the forum,

Discuss Key To Success In Tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

I

IvegotsTILE

Darren is spot on I've found that after putting myself about and starting to get the work in its my personality that gets me all my work.
Plenty of my customers bug the hell out of me(specially the ones with plenty of dosh)but I chat to them find out about there interests,family etc. until I find a common ground then I make sure that we get on like a house on fire,sod making me a cup of tea my customers make me bacon butties for my dinner and are happy for me to change the days I can start.
I make sure their very comfortable with me,every single one has let me work at their house unsupervised after probabaly being there for the first day.That makes them pass on my details to all their friends and family plus most have already called me back to do more tiling for them,don't get me wrong I also go out of my way for them,the kitchen splashback I was at on Friday I had to stop work to take the mother to pick up her kids from school because of the rain(now thats a favour)but it was all worth it cause she called today to get me to come round next week to tile her bathroom.
Promote yourself, get on with your customers like a house on fire and work your balls off(worked the last 10 days straight,plenty of 12 hour days) this is how you'll make your money and not be short of work.
Cheers Darren:beer_yum:

Last edited by a moderator:
P

penno

really really appreciate this advice as someone who is just starting up. Most important thing to me in the world at the moment (making my new business work). Spent all my time since leaving school in the Army (14 years) so my social skills aint bad, think i am pleasent enough. Just crossing my fingers this works, have a wife and child to look after :)

H

Home Tiler

penno

i did a friends bathroom the other week...the plumber who fitted it said i did a good job tiling it ....now he passes work on to me ...

so if i was you try and get in touch with plumbers they seem to have alot of tiling jobs that need doing
good luck mate

steve:thumbs_up:

S

scrubmuncher

I agree, personality is probably 'more' important than skills at the moment. It is hard to be confident at first when your a little shakey maybe constant self scrutiny, but once you can produce the banter to go with your 'over' confidence when looking at a job, you've won. I think the reason the banter is more important is because thiers no getting away from the fact that every bloke and his dog is giving it a go these days, we are over run with new tilers and if you dont have the banter to go with the skill your not gunna get any work.
I'm a quite quiet person in reality, but from 8 till 6 I pull on my trainers and turn into a different guy. I spent ages without work, going into showrooms all quiet and reserved, not really speaking to other tradesmen. Then I found this other person in myself handing my cards out to tradesmen at every chance I get, talking to every tradesman I meet, anywhere. Approaching showrooms with the attitude that I'm gunna do them a favour, not the other way around. Has worked for me. If your a quiet person you really need to find your other self to get noticed, beable to turn it on when needed.

UKTT Darren

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Subscribed
Reaction score
Exactly, if you get on really well with the customer you are less likely to get any grief as well, as some punters look for faults that are not there.

J

jabba

I find that lots of the "old timers" are not appreciating the fact that some of the "newbies" seem to be getting lots of work while they sit moaning in the pub at 1.30 after doing half a shift and deciding to let another potential customer down while they enjoy a few more beers......... times are chjanging, tradesmen now have to be on time every time, true to the customer and RELIABLE. It doesnt matter how good a tiler is, if he/she turns up stinking of ale with a "couldnt give a hoot" attitude then im affraid they will find themselves sitting in the pub a whole lot more.:clock:

Jabba

M

McP77

I find that lots of the "old timers" are not appreciating the fact that some of the "newbies" seem to be getting lots of work while they sit moaning in the pub at 1.30 after doing half a shift and deciding to let another potential customer down while they enjoy a few more beers......... times are chjanging, tradesmen now have to be on time every time, true to the customer and RELIABLE. It doesnt matter how good a tiler is, if he/she turns up stinking of ale with a "couldnt give a hoot" attitude then im affraid they will find themselves sitting in the pub a whole lot more.:clock:

Jabba

Couldn't agree more. It still amazes me when people thank me for turning up on time and doing as I said I would. As far as I'm concerned that is the least they deserve and I would expect to be b%&*$ed for not turning up rather than thanked for just being on time.

G

GatesheadCol

This is a great thread for us newbies.

All comments here are spot on, my time at the minute is mainly marketing. I go into the tile shops even when I dint need anything, chat to the guys and gals behind the counter. Now they know me they aklways have a chat and a bit banter. Get to know them, they will not give your cards out straight away but start taking your customers to their shops.

Everytime your out socially and you meet someone who is a tradesman give them somne cards, with a scratch my back and i'll scratch yours. One of my drinking mates builds conservatories (guess who his tiler is), thats what we need to do.

On the personality side - you have to have one. Ive been out on 4 quotes so far and got every one in the bag, 3 done already, the 4th starting on monday. Ive had a sales background so it helps but thats what you have to do sell yourself.

My second job (couldnt believe it at first) left me alone in her flat allday, do your job, keep it clean and chat to them when you arrive. Spend 10 minutes doing that. She actually said yto me 'it makes such a difference having someone in that is so easy to get on with. She was fit too but had to control myself as her boyfriend has 3 other rooms for me to tile lol, which are now also in the bag. Happy days

An old northern saying - Shy bairns get Nowt

W

webby

I am new to the forum and the last thing I want to do is come across as arrogant.I have been tiling now for nearly 30 years and I have never advertised.It did take a little while to get established but certainly less than a year.Yes I did 7 day weeks and bank holidays to start with.I had to as we had 5 children to bring up.However I have five months to go before I retire (officially) and am now in a position to work just 2 or 3 days a week if I want and still earn a good living.Mortgage is paid so one thing less worry.Money has been secondary to me and it is far more important that the client is a hundred per cent happy with the work.It is also important that I am one hundred per cent happy with the work.Attention to detail is a must.Don't skimp on anything.Use the best materials for the situation whatever they cost.Don't haggle.You should have a price for your standard of work and you should stick to it.If I put a price in for a job and don't get it I will be working for someone else.Be pleasant with people.Most of my work is private/domestic and I only ever work on a day rate plus materials.Hope this is helpful.Remember lads (or lasses)you only get out of life what you put in.
----
Jabba~~~~ just noticed what you said about old timers.Well I'm 65 next bithday,I am up at 6.30 every morning and start work at 8.I hardly drink anyway.I don't have the breaks during the day that most people do( I usually stop long enough to have a bite to eat) and I pack up about 4.30.If I am going to be late for some reason or can't turn up I phone the customer and let them know.I don't know where this attitude to old timers has come from but the most problematic tradesmen in my area are usually younger.Being realistic I suppose there's good and bad in all walks of life but I did resent you targeting us older tradesmen.And I'll tell you now,I can keep up with most youngsters.As I said before,I admit that I don't actually have to work every day if I don't want to but I do more often than not.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jabba

Hi Webby, as you say there are good and bad in all trades and obviously you don,t fall into the catagory i was refering to...... well done!!!!

Reply to Key To Success In Tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen