Search the forum,

Discuss Jakarta 600 x 300 Porcelain from Tile Giant in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

pault123

Hi I have just had 32 metres of the above tiles fitted in the bathroom. They are not polished or glazed, but have a matt finish (full-bodied ??). Initially had problem with grout haze seem to be sorting that with a tip from here using diluted clear vinegar.
Have left a tea bag, tomato sauce, vinegar, bleach etc on off cut overnight - all wiped clean with plain water. So do I need to seal them & if so what with ??
One issue is I have 2 daughters who colour their hair & wonder about the effect on tile (and grout)because they get a bit messy with it sometimes !!
Thanks for any tips
Paul (originally posted in wrong forum !!)

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

You can seal the joints with a spray. There are a few products in the tile shops now. One is called Sealguard. You should check with your supplier as to wether or not the whole tile needs to be sealed. If so, a liquid sealer would be cheaper. eg. Lithofin:thumbsup:

A

Aston

hi paul

as phil says, sealguard is excellent for the grout joints (tradetiler sells this) and again lithofin sealers are the best imo..lithofin fz impregnating sealer would do the job :thumbsup:
apply with a cloth or paint paint, see how it takes to absorb, dont apply too much and then leave and then go over the area with a clean dry cloth to polish up
regards
ed....

Last edited by a moderator:
P

pault123

Thanks for replies.
Suppliers said it doesn't need sealing, however the boxes state "should be treated with an anti-absorption product" !
So guess its the lithofin Then.
Does this change the appearance of the tile, because if not I could just do the areas prone to wear & tear. Guess I know you're gonna tell me to do the whole lot :lol:
Cheers
Paul

T

tfs

Some matt tiles should be sealed mate as they can be absorbant depedning on glaze etc.

I would seal over with a glaze protector such as LTP glaze protecor also sold by Tile Giant. Seal before and after grouting! (seal before fixing the tile if possible and then once after grouting)

Your retailer should specify when this is the case.

T

tfs

I know the tile you are talking about, it is porcelain backed with a glaze over it (two different colours in the tile if you look close at it, the biscuit is different than the face of the tile) Even dust can be hard to remove from this tile at times.

I would say that this tile does need a glaze protecter which will give you a primary seal. Ensure that the tile is clean and free from dirt and dry etc prior to using a primery sealer.

They also do the polished version which deffo needs to be sealed.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Matt

Thanks for replies.
Suppliers said it doesn't need sealing, however the boxes state "should be treated with an anti-absorption product" !
So guess its the lithofin Then.
Does this change the appearance of the tile, because if not I could just do the areas prone to wear & tear. Guess I know you're gonna tell me to do the whole lot :lol:
Cheers
Paul

If someone from Tile Giant has told you that, they have told you wrong.

The Jakarta matt should be sealed. We recommend LTP Mattstone for this. It only needs a lite coating. The appearance changes very slightly depending what colour you have.

D

DHTiling

If someone from Tile Giant has told you that, they have told you wrong.

The Jakarta matt should be sealed. We recommend LTP Mattstone for this. It only needs a lite coating. The appearance changes very slightly depending what colour you have.

Matt... wouldn't the MPG sealer be better..

T

tfs

my preference would be glze protector or possibly mattstone(now that Matt has recomeded it)

I have only used Matt stone for trav etc in the past though

Reply to Jakarta 600 x 300 Porcelain from Tile Giant in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen