Search the forum,

Discuss Indian Sandstone & Grout Removal Problem in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

smashedpeanut

Hi All,
I've just had the unfortunate experience of having to remove excess grout from the top of sawn Indian sandstone.
I used a very generous coat of Lithofin Stain Stop + to seal the tiles (850mm x 560mm). This worked very well and water actually beaded up on the surface, I haven't seen a sealer work so effectively before.
After grouting using Mapei Ultra Colour + colour 111, I cleaned the joints and wiped up what I thought was the left over residue. As we all know grout is often hard to see when the surface is wet.
The next day I discoverd to my horror that all the tiles had retained a top surface picture framing where the grout had been spread to fill the gaps.
No problem I thought...
I hired a pressure washer and gave the tiles a good consistent blast, this removed a further 30% of the residue.
At ths point I'm starting to really freak out...
I call my supplier who shrugs his shoulders and says you can try an acid based cement product remover, but this will probably stain the sandstone. WTF!
Then I had a brain wave...
I hire a floor polisher with those scouring pad discs much like the green kitchen scouring pads I use to clean my tools every day. After 6 hours and 6 pads I have managed to clean about 95% of the residue off, which is now acceptable.
PHEW...
Anyway just wanted to let you all know that there is a solution, bloody hard work, expensive & totally avoidable.
Happy tiling!
Cheers,
Stevo
IMG_0087.jpg

D

Dave Ramsden

Ouch mate... thats sucks!
Once had to strip down 20m of slate as a kid with paint thinners. The boss didnt count for dust particles in the air settling and creating a grit like feel to touch

Reply to Indian Sandstone & Grout Removal Problem in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen