Search the forum,

Discuss How Would U Deal With This in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

p4ulo

I would say its up to you if you want to "belt and braces" your job.
What does the sub-floor look like, any signs of cracking, movement or changes in appearance of the floor?
I did natural slate on a similar sized floor, and I used Schluter Ditra, but that was because I had some and I wanted to use it, also my floor did have a few old cracks on it.

Buying - you won't find any in the shops normally, but you can buy it per metre from a couple of places online, or check Ebay, sometimes people list offcuts.
I've got a big roll of it, if you get desperate drop me a private message and I'll sell you some for a great price!

A

assegayer

I would say its up to you if you want to "belt and braces" your job.
What does the sub-floor look like, any signs of cracking, movement or changes in appearance of the floor?
I did natural slate on a similar sized floor, and I used Schluter Ditra, but that was because I had some and I wanted to use it, also my floor did have a few old cracks on it.

Buying - you won't find any in the shops normally, but you can buy it per metre from a couple of places online, or check Ebay, sometimes people list offcuts.
I've got a big roll of it, if you get desperate drop me a private message and I'll sell you some for a great price!

I might just take you up on that offer. Just one last question i hear people always talking about expansion gaps and all. Should i leave a whole peremiter gap between the tiles and wall then fill with silicon. Or just butt the tiles next to the wall. Some people even say to not use grout about every 5 metres or so and fill grout line with silicon instead.

Really reallt appreciate your advice and others thanks all

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Why need matting, has it underfloor heating ?
How long has the floor been down ?
Seems a waste of money laying matting, i wouldnt, never have and never will, unless it has underfloor heating and its stone

A

assegayer

Why need matting, has it underfloor heating ?
How long has the floor been down ?
Seems a waste of money laying matting, i wouldnt, never have and never will, unless it has underfloor heating and its stone
Tbh its just simply cause i saw it advertised..so what about the expansion gaps then

GAZ5518

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Years ago.... EML was the way to go ... But as time has gone on ... 18 mm wpb ply took over .... Screwed 6" centres ...... Then came along wedi board.. Also various other cementous board products... Now the likes of Ditra matting and a few other de-coupling mats are available..
With regards bad floorboards ... Do it once ... Do it right ... Take them up and replace floor with 18 mm WPB... Nog to brace if need be .. Prime ... Then if there is any movement .. Bal mat..( or the like ).... Then tile that floor... Bing bang bong!!... Job done

M

Mr Tiler

Only use you will get with tubbed adhesive on the floor mate is when your fixing hardi backer down to fill the voids lol as chalker said get the floor solid and you will have no issues

Reply to How Would U Deal With This in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen