Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss How Would U Deal With This in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

A

assegayer

Hi guys the last tiler that done the place tiled straight over floorboards and they crack all the time yearly or every 3 months..how would you reccomend that i cover this surface to tile on.

Could i screw them down firmly then pour self leveling compound or rapid set cement on them?

Or would i have to put down some plywood 9mm.

Thanks in advance

20151201_185953.jpg 20151201_190210.jpg

O

Old Mod

They look shot to pieces.
Personally I'd want floor boards ripped out and replaced with
Ply and overboarded with 6mm Hardie or similar
Or Hardie do a 22mm structural grade flooring u can tile straight on to.
If u don't do correct prep now while u have chance, they'll just keep cracking, and I guess u've had enough of that!
You need to make your sub floor as solid and rigid as possible, add noggins between joists too, whilst boards are up.
Aim for 300 centres if u can.

A

assegayer

They look shot to pieces.
Personally I'd want floor boards ripped out and replaced with
Ply and overboarded with 6mm Hardie or similar
Or Hardie do a 22mm structural grade flooring u can tile straight on to.
If u don't do correct prep now while u have chance, they'll just keep cracking, and I guess u've had enough of that!
You need to make your sub floor as solid and rigid as possible, add noggins between joists too, whilst boards are up.
Aim for 300 centres if u can.

Thanks for the reply. So i take it that the tubbed adhesive that can be spread on floorboards is crap..off course providing that i replace some of the floor boards and put some noggins as you suggested

A

assegayer

Also should i leave 2mm gaps between the ply for expansion what would i fill with?

O

Old Mod

Certainly don't use tubbed adhesive.
A flexible slow set powder mixed with water.
If you end up with rapid set for any reason, just mix small quantities at a time.
Well as long as u are overboarding with the 6mm Hardie, just leave the joint in the ply clear, cos you would tape and joint the Hardie.
Stagger your joints in both layers so none of them run together.
Better to run ply one way, and Hardie perpendicular to them.
Stick the Hardie to the ply with same floor adhesive as tiles then screw the Hardie in the pre marked places.
Use a good quality self countersinking screw, not Hardie screws.
Tape joints and fill with adhesive.

I

Italy

If you end up with rapid set for any reason, just mix small quantities at a time.
Well as long as u are overboarding with the 6mm Hardie, just leave the joint in the ply clear, cos you would tape and joint the Hardie.
Stick the Hardie to the ply with same floor adhesive as tiles then screw the Hardie in the pre marked places.
think
thinking-023.GIF

A

assegayer

okay so the boards are now nicely repaired and 6mm hardie backed, however i have another room thats just plain cement and i want to lay some natural stone tiles there, do i really need a decoupling mat or would flexible addy be enough...even when i try to look where to buy some mat i cant find a shop they all seem to jsut be online.

P

p4ulo

I would say its up to you if you want to "belt and braces" your job.
What does the sub-floor look like, any signs of cracking, movement or changes in appearance of the floor?
I did natural slate on a similar sized floor, and I used Schluter Ditra, but that was because I had some and I wanted to use it, also my floor did have a few old cracks on it.

Buying - you won't find any in the shops normally, but you can buy it per metre from a couple of places online, or check Ebay, sometimes people list offcuts.
I've got a big roll of it, if you get desperate drop me a private message and I'll sell you some for a great price!

A

assegayer

I would say its up to you if you want to "belt and braces" your job.
What does the sub-floor look like, any signs of cracking, movement or changes in appearance of the floor?
I did natural slate on a similar sized floor, and I used Schluter Ditra, but that was because I had some and I wanted to use it, also my floor did have a few old cracks on it.

Buying - you won't find any in the shops normally, but you can buy it per metre from a couple of places online, or check Ebay, sometimes people list offcuts.
I've got a big roll of it, if you get desperate drop me a private message and I'll sell you some for a great price!

I might just take you up on that offer. Just one last question i hear people always talking about expansion gaps and all. Should i leave a whole peremiter gap between the tiles and wall then fill with silicon. Or just butt the tiles next to the wall. Some people even say to not use grout about every 5 metres or so and fill grout line with silicon instead.

Really reallt appreciate your advice and others thanks all

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Why need matting, has it underfloor heating ?
How long has the floor been down ?
Seems a waste of money laying matting, i wouldnt, never have and never will, unless it has underfloor heating and its stone

A

assegayer

Why need matting, has it underfloor heating ?
How long has the floor been down ?
Seems a waste of money laying matting, i wouldnt, never have and never will, unless it has underfloor heating and its stone
Tbh its just simply cause i saw it advertised..so what about the expansion gaps then

Reply to How Would U Deal With This in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks