Search the forum,

Discuss How to check deflection on plywood across joists in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

J

jesteh

Time and time again, I see advice offered to check for deflection before starting to tile on floorboards/plywood across joists.

What I don't understand is - how do you check for deflection and how much deflection is acceptable? Is there a gadget or a certain way of doing it? Do you jump up and down looking for a bit of trampoline bounce. Do you use a spirit level and see if weight causes it to bend? Any other ideas?

C

Colour Republic

it's a bit like cooking a steak... you kinda just know by feel. Others sometimes place a glass of water on the floor and see how it reacts when stomping round the room

J

jesteh

I have tried the water test but even with 25mm ply, there are ripples in water when I bounce next to it. (I have too much time on my hands).

C

charlie1

Look at the floor as you apply pressure, there should be next to no visual movment.

S

steve187

use a long straight edge/level and stand in the centre, next to the level, and see if there is a gap between the level and the floor, get a friend/wife to help as well, or place some weight in the centre.
As colour republic posted you kind of get a feel for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

craigdon

use a long straight edge/level and stand in the centre, next to the level, and see if there is a gap between the level and the floor, get a friend/wife to help as well, or place some weight in the centre.
As colour republic posted you kind of get a feel for it.

Most floors I come across, until I've preped them, have a gap under a straight edge lol!

C

Ct Ceramic

[DLMURL]http://www.proconweb.com/pdfs/publications/technical_articles/deflection_-_are_current_standards_realistic_2001.pdf[/DLMURL]

With a litle knowledge you soon understand that nearly all floors you tile on that are wooden have too much deflection.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to How to check deflection on plywood across joists in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen