Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss how do i get trade discount ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

R

robjoe90

i do tiling on a part - time basis but i do about 1 job a week even though ive just started out a few months , topps wanted some reciepts . any ideas ?

G

GRAYLIN

Hi,
I am in the process of setting up my company. Not yet registered with inland revenue. You have 3 months to inform them. If they ask I am researching and marketing the potential.
Anyway, I approached Top Tiles for a trade account who informed me I needed an invoice with letter heading. I said I had not traded yet would a blank one do. He said yes.
The next time I went the guy who deals with the accounts was not their - I will phone before I go 6 miles next time.
I asked one of the lads to check my paperwork he said that what I had was fine, probably too much:
I took passport, sure driving license would be OK.
A blank invoice with my company name on it.
Utility bill with my name and address.
A photocopy of my free advert on http://www.findtrustedtradesmen.co.uk/
And last but not least business card - you should have these even if you are part-time. We don't have a shop window, this is it.
Hope this helps.
Cheers Graham
p.s. When you get your trade account dont forget to ask them to promote you. Personnally I wouldn't tell them I am part-time (Or any potential customers).

G

grumpygrouter

Hi,
I am in the process of setting up my company. Not yet registered with inland revenue. You have 3 months to inform them. If they ask I am researching and marketing the potential.
Anyway, I approached Top Tiles for a trade account who informed me I needed an invoice with letter heading. I said I had not traded yet would a blank one do. He said yes.
The next time I went the guy who deals with the accounts was not their - I will phone before I go 6 miles next time.
I asked one of the lads to check my paperwork he said that what I had was fine, probably too much:
I took passport, sure driving license would be OK.
A blank invoice with my company name on it.
Utility bill with my name and address.
A photocopy of my free advert on http://www.findtrustedtradesmen.co.uk/
And last but not least business card - you should have these even if you are part-time. We don't have a shop window, this is it.
Hope this helps.
Cheers Graham
p.s. When you get your trade account dont forget to ask them to promote you. Personnally I wouldn't tell them I am part-time (Or any potential customers).
Topps will ask you for invoices/receipts from two other trade outlets, Wickes or B&Q for instance and that should be sufficient.

You may want to consider looking at more independent suppliers as well, you will probably get better discounts than from Topps.

Grumpy

Last edited by a moderator:
B

bigdaz

I don't suppose the fact that you are buying adhesive/grout from Topps every week would account for anything....?

G

grumpygrouter

I don't suppose the fact that you are buying adhesive/grout from Topps every week would account for anything....?
I believe it is company policy to produce this documantation, whether you are buying from them all the time or not. Just procedures in place that staff have to follow. At least with them you don't need to fill out a form like you do with most other trade accounts, and they would look for at least 2 other trade references as well. probably don't need the refrences at Topps because it is cash up front and not on credit.

Grumpy

B

bigdaz

what sort of value receipts would they be looking for? I remember when I joined makro they wanted to see 2 invoices for at least £50 each which was fine then when I was buying all my plastering tools but as for tiling, I've got most of my tools already.... a receipt for a bag of spacers maybe..?

G

grumpygrouter

what sort of value receipts would they be looking for? I remember when I joined makro they wanted to see 2 invoices for at least £50 each which was fine then when I was buying all my plastering tools but as for tiling, I've got most of my tools already.... a receipt for a bag of spacers maybe..?
When I opened my account there was no minimum value, just "receipts".

Grumpy

B

bigdaz

thanks Grumpy, I'm sure I've still got some receipts from B&Q, I'll give it a go with Topps

F

Fekin

I got an account at another tile shop and just showed them 2 reciepts from Topps, one for a .99p trim and another for some disposable gloves.

Never used the new account though :lol:

L

LM Ceramics

i have an account with a tile shop in preston and i think im going to set up an account for topps aswell

i went to euxton tiles ( near preston) u have to fill a form, references etc so i dont think ill bother with that

M

MIKE1

i do tiling on a part - time basis but i do about 1 job a week even though ive just started out a few months , topps wanted some reciepts . any ideas ?

I opened an account with topps ,all I took was 2 receipts from b+q and a piece of A4 with my letter head on it.Done in a few minutes. With CTD you have to fill in a form.

Reply to how do i get trade discount ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks