Search the forum,

Discuss How do I cut 1.5" thick slate in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

W

Wendy Lane

:sunny:please can any tell us how to cut slate which has been taken from an old snooker table. We want to line the fire place with it. Many thanks Wendy

D

doug boardley

I'd use a wet cutter Wendy,for what you'd want it for you could get a relatively cheap one from DIY centre, alternatively you could use an angle grinder:thumbsup:

T

TilingLogistics

Welcome to the forums Wendy. I would use a Wet cutter: Wash the slate thoroughly asfter cutting to remove all slurry and allow to completely dry prior to fixing and sealing thumbsup:

Kev

Last edited by a moderator:
U

user123

Hi Wendy,
and welcome to the forum:hurray: Yes, the wetcutter, have done this ourselves in the past and it works, just wanted to add - get ear protectors (I double up with earplugs) - it's a noisy affair....especially with the echo of an empty room or garage.

J

jonash

Hi Wendy,
If the slate is in large sections it's going to be too heavy to move to a wet saw, grinder would probably be the best bet.
jonny

U

user123

Hi Wendy,
If the slate is in large sections it's going to be too heavy to move to a wet saw, grinder would probably be the best bet.
jonny

AHA! good point:thumbsup:...we used a skateboard and lots of male musclepower at the time...after a while I volunteered to make tea and sandwiches :lol:...oh it's great to be a woman...

F

faithhealer

A standard wet saw won't give you 1.5" depth, you would have to come from both sides perhaps but might look a bit ragged. Do you know any builders who might have a stihlsaw who might do the job for you for beer money. (Agree with the weight issue Jonny)

D

DHTiling

A standard wet cutter won't cut that size stone......a grinder will take ages but will do the job....i would go with faithealers choice and hire a stone cutting saw from a hire shop...much quicker and cheap enough to hire one...:thumbsup:

F

frogeye

Or....... find a place that makes headstones.

We bought a piece of slate from one and had a few cuts made when we used it as a hearth.
I told my mom it was a headstone where they had spelled the name wrong on the other side
....ho ho

Reply to How do I cut 1.5" thick slate in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen