Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Hi all , urgent advice required re.tanking and shower floor in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

R

Rakeshgupta77

Hi all ,
First of all I want to say a big Hi to everyone . considering i have never tiled before in my life , i have found this forum so helpful and interesting , so a big thankyou to all.

Here's my situation :-
My mother had a downstairs shower and toilet room extension built about 5 years ago.
The floor is concrete and had altro( I think that's what it's called) fitted which i have now removed and the shower corner was tiled from ceiling to floor and had a drain fitted into the sloped floor.
My mother wanted all the walls and floor fully tiled so because I had some spare time I decided to take the project on myself !!

I removed all the wall tiles and altro (because I read that tiles won't stick to this) . I have now finished tiling all the walls and now am about to start on the floor, but now I'm slightly worried as I may have made a mistake because I did not "tank" the shower part of the Walls.
I am now hoping that it would have been tanked the first time it was tiled and that it will still be effective after I have re-tiled it.
After removing the altro off the concrete floor I realised ,that everytime the floor got wet , a mushy glue like substance would appear, so I have now wetted the floor and scraped all this substance off.
Now before I start tiling floor I would be gratefully if anyone could give me advice and answer my questions:-
1. will the Walls be safe considering I have not "tanked" them
2. Do I need to "tank" the floor , or can I just lay them onto thinset?
3. In the corner where the shower enclosure will be , I am planning on cutting the ceramic tiles I have spare from the walls into small squares (mosaic style) and laying them so I can keep the slope for the water to go into the drain, will this create any problems ?
Thanks in advance
Rocky.

R

Rakeshgupta77

P.s when I say shower enclosure , it's just two screens about a metre high fitted on both walls that extend out and meet at right angles to form a square enclosure.

Reply to Hi all , urgent advice required re.tanking and shower floor in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcgtech
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks