Search the forum,

Discuss Hi all , urgent advice required re.tanking and shower floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Rakeshgupta77

Hi all ,
First of all I want to say a big Hi to everyone . considering i have never tiled before in my life , i have found this forum so helpful and interesting , so a big thankyou to all.

Here's my situation :-
My mother had a downstairs shower and toilet room extension built about 5 years ago.
The floor is concrete and had altro( I think that's what it's called) fitted which i have now removed and the shower corner was tiled from ceiling to floor and had a drain fitted into the sloped floor.
My mother wanted all the walls and floor fully tiled so because I had some spare time I decided to take the project on myself !!

I removed all the wall tiles and altro (because I read that tiles won't stick to this) . I have now finished tiling all the walls and now am about to start on the floor, but now I'm slightly worried as I may have made a mistake because I did not "tank" the shower part of the Walls.
I am now hoping that it would have been tanked the first time it was tiled and that it will still be effective after I have re-tiled it.
After removing the altro off the concrete floor I realised ,that everytime the floor got wet , a mushy glue like substance would appear, so I have now wetted the floor and scraped all this substance off.
Now before I start tiling floor I would be gratefully if anyone could give me advice and answer my questions:-
1. will the Walls be safe considering I have not "tanked" them
2. Do I need to "tank" the floor , or can I just lay them onto thinset?
3. In the corner where the shower enclosure will be , I am planning on cutting the ceramic tiles I have spare from the walls into small squares (mosaic style) and laying them so I can keep the slope for the water to go into the drain, will this create any problems ?
Thanks in advance
Rocky.

R

Rakeshgupta77

P.s when I say shower enclosure , it's just two screens about a metre high fitted on both walls that extend out and meet at right angles to form a square enclosure.

Reply to Hi all , urgent advice required re.tanking and shower floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen