Search the forum,

Discuss Hi all, tiling a bath panel, need advice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

space_monkey

Evening all,

Great site been trawling for hours getting lots of good tips.

firstly apologies I'm new to this tiling game and need a little advise on tiling a bath so my questions maybe a little simple. Any help though would be much appreciated.
Basically I'm replacing my bathroom and want to tile the bath front and end panels. Plan is to remove bath (although the bath does not sit on floorboards, is this normal in a flat? It was a suprise to me!), tile floor, replace bath, build frame and attach backing board and tile.
Does anyone have any suggestions on

1) how thick does the backer board need to be
2) Can I use ply or will I need a backer board?
3) what is the best way to ensure I get a nice finish but allow removal of the tiles bath front panel if necessary (as the shower pump sits under the bath). I was thinking of tiling the board then attaching to the frame with screws and filling the screw holes with silicon, or is this a really bad idea?

I'm using 250 x 330 ceramic tiles so hoping the weight will not be an issue

Eternally greatful for any suggestions

Thanks all

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to tilersforums.com | Tile Forums | Tiling Forum!

Welcome to tilersforums.com space_monkey. Thanks for introducing yourself.

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
Thanks all

1) how thick does the backer board need to be

6mm will do, build your frame to suit allowing for tile and adhesive so that the tile front falls just under the lip of the bath and not proud of it.

2) Can I use ply or will I need a backer board?

Backerboard would be best, plasterboard second choice.

3) what is the best way to ensure I get a nice finish but allow removal of the tiles bath front panel if necessary (as the shower pump sits under the bath). I was thinking of tiling the board then attaching to the frame with screws and filling the screw holes with silicon, or is this a really bad idea?

It's not a bad idea, depends on how much access you need, there are purpose made magnetic panels or you can do it a number of other ways, as I say, depends on what you need to remove.

I'm using 250 x 330 ceramic tiles so hoping the weight will not be an issue

No weight issues there on the panel

Eternally greatful for any suggestions

Welcome to the place

Last edited:
S

space_monkey

wow thank's for the quick replies. Do wedi make purpose built\magnetic panels?

Thanks for the great tips chaps, I'm sort of thinking about the magnet option now, would solve the mismatched tile\silicon colour. I guess they need to be pretty strong magnets though. :thumbsup:

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
wow thank's for the quick replies.

Sad for a Saturday night, ain't we :D

Do wedi make purpose built\magnetic panels?
Not sure on that one, Schluter do.

Thanks for the great tips chaps, I'm sort of thinking about the magnet option now, I guess they need to be pretty strong magnets though. :thumbsup:

What size access panel were you thinking of, or was it full bath panel ?

would solve the mismatched tile\silicon colour.

Mapei do a large range of silicone to match grout colours :thumbsup:

Reaction score
The magnets come as a kit that you fix to the panels. There are various other invisible fixing options, Screwfix do some which may be better if you want to make the whole panel removeable.

If you use Mapei grout & silicones they are pretty good with the colour matches :thumbsup:

B

brinkley

you could use mirror screws also, i havent seen purpose built wedi bath panels but wedi is very easy to work with

Reply to Hi all, tiling a bath panel, need advice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen