Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Herringbone issue in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi, we are having a herringbone pattern in our bathroom and the tiler has done one wall but then when he’s gone onto the next wall and the lines don’t match. Is that right? It looks funny to me but I’m no expert! Your help would be appreciated before we waste too many tiles and time!!

OP
L
Reaction score
It should wrap around. Maybe he forgot to save the of cuts. Feel sorry for him doing herringbone around the window
Well I have no clue about this stuff and even I thought that’s what you do... I don’t understand why he’s not followed the wall round! Thanks for your help, I didn’t want to challenge him without confirmation I’m right

T

Time's Ran Out

I would suggest that he’s not even a Tiler!
He’s obviously dot and dabbing these tiles individually and short of wasting 2 walls of tiles, he’s going to cost you big time unless you stop him now.

OP
L
Reaction score
I would suggest that he’s not even a Tiler!
He’s obviously dot and dabbing these tiles individually and short of wasting 2 walls of tiles, he’s going to cost you big time unless you stop him now.
Thank you, we thought as much but didn’t want to complain without a professional opinion. He’s also taken a week to do 1/2 the job he’d said would take 2-3 days, so our life is on hold whilst he’s been unreliable and not showing up when he said! Nightmare

L

LM

As well as what’s been said above I’d also make sure that the walls have been primed with an acrylic or sbr primer.

S

Spare Tool

As above...not good but may be salvageable without taking the lot off, he could take just the last corner and bottom tiles off and put a straight border tile in..

T

Time's Ran Out

I'm not sure how you know he's dot dabbing? Or not used an SBR?

No sign of any https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ on the wall outside of the tiles fixed ie the wall has not been spread with a notched trowel bed of https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/.

O

One Day

I'd suggest that it takes a very high level of experience and skill to make herringbone work anywhere - especially in a bathroom and around windows (see Finlay's pic above for a nice example).
It's glaringly obvious that the "tiler" you have is totally out of his depth with this.
Better to stop now.

Reply to Herringbone issue in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
flooringdemand
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock