Discuss 90 degree herringbone grout line issue in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Demand

-
Reaction score
I’m trying to do square (straight) herringbone with a 4x12 tile. I’m not getting the math on how you can do it if you add grout lines to horizontally laid tiles. If I add 1/8 line the width becomes 4 1/8 and 3 tiles horizontally are now 12 1/4. I see examples on the web but no one mentions how to handle the extra width. Any help is appreciated.
23FE1DA5-6B46-405A-92DA-A3EBA10DA1F4.jpeg

Jimbob12

DIY Tiler
Reaction score
The short length side of the the tile has to fit perfectly along the long length side of the tile perfectly for herringbone to work. If it doesn't ( grout joint included ) then herringbone isnt possible.

Demand

-
Reaction score
thanks. It’s that simple for me too, now trying convince my wife it won’t work. She’s now trying to convince me to do a traditional herringbone which I explained is the same thing just turned to a 45.

Reaction score
Is it not because the Herring bone, once laid would have a 45 deg angle, not a straight tile edge at the margin?

C

Chris Metcalfe

I've come across this very problem on my current job which is the first time I've attempted herringbone. My tiles are 200 x 100 (exactly). I've been pulling my hair out for several weeks now. I did manage to devise an extremely convoluted system to do it however it's been a nightmare and one I won't be repeating. I've been using a combination of 2mm and 3mm spacers. Horror. What can I say, it was too late to turn back. Would I be right in saying then that the correct tile size would be for example 202mm x 100mm, for a 2mm grout line?

Reply to 90 degree herringbone grout line issue in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
andymtl24
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks