Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Herringbone issue in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

demi34

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Not right u have to stop ✋ him

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I read this post a couple of weeks ago and thought to myself.........I am so lucky nobody (in 11 years) has asked me to do a herringbone pattern.

Last week a builder asked me to make contact with one of his customers because they wanted herringbone pattern in their kitchen :eek:.

I did contact the customer and told them I have never done herringbone and I did not fancy doing their job. Especially in a kitchen and cutting around corners and sockets etc. I did apologise that I had to turn their job down. A couple of days later they rang to book me in for a brickbond pattern :cool:.

Am I a wuss?

T

Time's Ran Out

I’d agree for small splash back areas such as in kitchens - it becomes too visual and distracts from the units.
But then again I don’t get the chance of doing such exciting projects! I leave them to the forum entertainer.:)

C

Concrete guy

I also never used to do kitchen splash backs on the diamond when there were window sills and multiple sockets. It wasn't that I wasn't capable. In most cases the customers simply didn't grasp how much longer it would take than regular brickbond or 100mm squares. Especially when they wanted the sills and returns mitred and wrapped around.

Reaction score
View attachment 107478
We’re doing this at the moment
Lovely work👍What about the sill..was it not possible to continue the Herringbone onto it. Only reason I ask is because I mocked up a wall with a shower niche over christmas and had a play but when it came to wrapping around the internals of the niche I had to give up as was on it for days but just couldn't get the grout lines to match up.

Reaction score
Hi, we are having a herringbone pattern in our bathroom and the tiler has done one wall but then when he’s gone onto the next wall and the lines don’t match. Is that right? It looks funny to me but I’m no expert! Your help would be appreciated before we waste too many tiles and time!!

View attachment 107463
View attachment 107464
Hi - can you tell me what size tiles you were using here?

I want to herringbone my shower with 7.5cm x 30cm tiles but my tiler (experienced and trusted as through our builder who he works for a lot) says that this can't be done.

Explanation is that 4 x 7.5 = 30 but this doesn't take into account the spacing for grout. So after laying a certain number of tiles they won't line up properly as one of the gaps will get gradually wider.

Source URL: Help Needed With Herringbone - https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/help-needed-with-herringbone.97647/

Can anyone help?

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
As long as they are rectangular and all same size then the actual size makes no difference.
Think the tiler just doesn’t want to do it.

hk940

Arms
Reaction score
Hi - can you tell me what size tiles you were using here?

I want to herringbone my shower with 7.5cm x 30cm tiles but my tiler (experienced and trusted as through our builder who he works for a lot) says that this can't be done.

Explanation is that 4 x 7.5 = 30 but this doesn't take into account the spacing for grout. So after laying a certain number of tiles they won't line up properly as one of the gaps will get gradually wider.

Source URL: Help Needed With Herringbone - https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/help-needed-with-herringbone.97647/

Can anyone help?

In order for herring bone to work
the long dimension needs to be ( as the case of tiles being twice as long as wide) multiples of the short dimension plus the joint size.

The length of long side will determine the joint size.

I was doing a kitchen, dining area (450 sg.ft.).

The tiles were 6”x 48” (nominal) and the joint would need to be about 3/16”+.

The home owner would not accept that and wanted a 1/8” joint.

She asked me what could be done to make it work.

I told her the tiles would need to be cut down on the long side about 5/8”

(the tile had rectified edge so that was not a problem).

She said go ahead. I spent two days cutting down 225 tiles, and she was complaing about cost over runs!

Reaction score
Hi, we are having a herringbone pattern in our bathroom and the tiler has done one wall but then when he’s gone onto the next wall and the lines don’t match. Is that right? It looks funny to me but I’m no expert! Your help would be appreciated before we waste too many tiles and time!!

View attachment 107463
View attachment 107464
Hi Lauradene, the tiles no matter what pattern is being used should look like the tiles are being "bent" around the corner. The tiles that have been fixed thus far just do not give that impression. In my professional opinion these have not been fixed right. I would ask your tiler to stop before he goes any further. The 2 parts of the tile should more or less make up one tile. This is hardly ever exact but the pattern so far is so obviously wrong. You are right to be concerned!

Reaction score
Tell your tiler to check out Youtube 😉 Type in herring bone tile installation. I get a lot of tips on how to do stuff the right way.

Reaction score
It's wrong. Did you do it yourself or the plumber/builder?
The wooden batons spell big danger. It looks a total mess.
Sorry. Rip it out and start again with a tiler from nearby you.

Last edited:
T

TKD Tiling

Always wrap herringbone around corners, always... just looks incorrect otherwise, it makes such a difference.
As for length and width dimensions of tiles defining whether or not herringbone can be done, that’s only the case when doing 90degree/vertical herringbone, as you see the grout lines wander out of level. On 45degrees your eye doesn’t see that

Reply to Herringbone issue in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
BIG_AL
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock