• Thanks for visiting TilersForums.com, the Tile Advice Forum. It's free to join if you'd like to register and ask a question should you not be able to search for your answers already. :)

Discuss Herringbone issue in the Tiling Forum | Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Reactions
Hi, we are having a herringbone pattern in our bathroom and the tiler has done one wall but then when he’s gone onto the next wall and the lines don’t match. Is that right? It looks funny to me but I’m no expert! Your help would be appreciated before we waste too many tiles and time!!

TileFix Direct
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Reactions
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It should wrap around. Maybe he forgot to save the of cuts. Feel sorry for him doing herringbone around the window
Well I have no clue about this stuff and even I thought that’s what you do... I don’t understand why he’s not followed the wall round! Thanks for your help, I didn’t want to challenge him without confirmation I’m right

timeless john

Staff member
Esteemed
Supporter
Arms
Reactions
16,088 152 1
What member type are you?
Professional Wall and Floor Tiler
I would suggest that he’s not even a Tiler!
He’s obviously dot and dabbing these tiles individually and short of wasting 2 walls of tiles, he’s going to cost you big time unless you stop him now.

Reactions
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I would suggest that he’s not even a Tiler!
He’s obviously dot and dabbing these tiles individually and short of wasting 2 walls of tiles, he’s going to cost you big time unless you stop him now.
Thank you, we thought as much but didn’t want to complain without a professional opinion. He’s also taken a week to do 1/2 the job he’d said would take 2-3 days, so our life is on hold whilst he’s been unreliable and not showing up when he said! Nightmare

LEE MAC

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reactions
12,707 36
As well as what’s been said above I’d also make sure that the walls have been primed with an acrylic or sbr primer.

S

Spare Tool

As above...not good but may be salvageable without taking the lot off, he could take just the last corner and bottom tiles off and put a straight border tile in..

timeless john

Staff member
Esteemed
Supporter
Arms
Reactions
16,088 152 1
I'm not sure how you know he's dot dabbing? Or not used an SBR?
No sign of any adhesive on the wall outside of the tiles fixed ie the wall has not been spread with a notched trowel bed of adhesive.

O

One Day

I'd suggest that it takes a very high level of experience and skill to make herringbone work anywhere - especially in a bathroom and around windows (see Finlay's pic above for a nice example).
It's glaringly obvious that the "tiler" you have is totally out of his depth with this.
Better to stop now.

Sean Kelly

TF
Supporter
Arms
Reactions
617 1
I read this post a couple of weeks ago and thought to myself.........I am so lucky nobody (in 11 years) has asked me to do a herringbone pattern.

Last week a builder asked me to make contact with one of his customers because they wanted herringbone pattern in their kitchen :eek:.

I did contact the customer and told them I have never done herringbone and I did not fancy doing their job. Especially in a kitchen and cutting around corners and sockets etc. I did apologise that I had to turn their job down. A couple of days later they rang to book me in for a brickbond pattern :cool:.

Am I a wuss?

timeless john

Staff member
Esteemed
Supporter
Arms
Reactions
16,088 152 1
I’d agree for small splash back areas such as in kitchens - it becomes too visual and distracts from the units.
But then again I don’t get the chance of doing such exciting projects! I leave them to the forum entertainer.:)

Reactions
I also never used to do kitchen splash backs on the diamond when there were window sills and multiple sockets. It wasn't that I wasn't capable. In most cases the customers simply didn't grasp how much longer it would take than regular brickbond or 100mm squares. Especially when they wanted the sills and returns mitred and wrapped around.

Reply to Herringbone issue in the Tiling Forum | Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Tiling Forum

Get free wall and floor tiling advice from TilersForums.com's Tiling Forum. Both DIY and professional wall and floor tilers use this forum to make sure their tiling is spot on.

New Threads (Sitewide)

The Wetroom Store - TilersForums.com Sponsor
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Top Bottom

Use TilersForums.com to find Tiling Jobs or your Local Tilers for free. Get tiling tools at the best prices via the forum.