Search the forum,

Discuss Help with damp wall please in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

misaps

Hi

I've got a job taking out a bath and installing a shower in its place. The bathroom was originally fitted out about 8 years ago by a local company and the reason the client wants it done is because they are struggling to get in and out of the bath, so it just involves removing one course of tiles above the bath, ripping out and making good before installing tray and screens. They had a shower in place over the bath before which will be reused in the new cubicle.

all was going well until we took off some of the tiles at the bath edge where the glass shower screen was situated as it became apparent there had been a leak where the screen met the bath. The consequence of this is that a section of wall is soaked through (they have a small room on the other side of this wall and it is quite obvious how wet it is by the paint flaking).

Ive put a damp meter on it and there is a strip of about 200mm where I need to retile which is showing as damp. I have removed all the plaster back to the blockwork (they are 50mm blocks), had a dehumidifier going for three days and it has not really made an impression in it, though water is obviously being drawn out. They are very keen for it to be done ASAP and I am fearful that it could take weeks for the whole area to be fully dry, something they are unable to live with!

Would painting synthaproof be a suitable way of providing a a membrane to stop the damp coming through the tiling side of the wall (allow it to dry via the small room side!), then rendering before tiling be a way to speed the process up?

thanks in advance
M

W

White Room

I would keep the dehumidifier going for a bit longer to get the moisture out, there'll have to wait.....

Reply to Help with damp wall please in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen