Search the forum,

Discuss Help! SLC fail - Self levelling compound failed Pro 50 in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

Budha7

Hi All

I have an issue which I would like to hear your thoughts on.

I have had a floor fail on me, and need to get to the bottom of what has happened.

The floor is timber, screwed to joists and checked for deflection.
Then overlaid with 10mm backer board, screwed to floor. No primer.
UFH loose wire system laid and covered with Norcros Pro 50 leveller.
Ardex AF200 adhesive for holding Ditra mat.
Norcros Rapid flex ontop for tiles.

The tiles are all moving, and on cutting a tile out, it is the SLC which has failed.
It has big cracks in it, which are curled at the ends. Raised around 5mm on the edges.
The only way I can describe it is if you can imagine a dried out lake bed?
The room never got above 15c when i was working there, the windows were closed and the customer was on holiday, so all heating was off and no hot water was being used (warm pipes).

I have photos and will try to upload, but i am unsure how at the moment, bear with me.
Can somebody please help!!

Thanks for the great forum!

T

TJ Smiler

So you had timber floor (what type? floorboards, chipboard etc?) then you over boarded with backerboard, then layed the UFH then applied SLC, then layed Ditra, then tiled. is that the order you done it in?

B

Budha7

22mm t and g moisture chipboard flooring, laid opposite way to joists, offset, glued and screwed, with additional screws at 300mm centers.
Porcelain tiles.

B

Budha7

IMG_0226.jpg IMG_0228.jpg

B

Budha7

So you had timber floor (what type? floorboards, chipboard etc?) then you over boarded with backerboard, then layed the UFH then applied SLC, then layed Ditra, then tiled. is that the order you done it in?

yes, correct.

Reply to Help! SLC fail - Self levelling compound failed Pro 50 in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen