Search the forum,

Discuss Help - silicone joint on ribbed tiles!!! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

F

firsttimetiler

Hi everyone.
This is my first post on this forum after taking some very sound advice for my first tiling job.
I have fitted a new bathroom and carried out all the tiling myself without any prior experience and I'm pretty happy with how it's turned out. It has taken me nearly every weekend over the whole summer so it should be good!!
Now I've got to the part I'm dreading... Silicone.
Ive already mucked up the seal round the bath so had to re-do that but luckily it looks ok and no one would ever know.
The problem I've now got is the silicone seal required in the vertical corner of my new shower area where this is between some standard white tiles and some natural stone tiles that are ribbed, sort of like a bamboo effect.
Im terrified of getting the silicone everywhere and in all the ridges as grouting was bad enough, but at least that wipes off. I masked all the vertical joints when grouting and even then some still creeped behind the tape.
I was hoping that one of you expert tiler may be able to offer some more invaluable advice!!
Any help would be appreciated.
thanks in advance.

S

Stef

Hi everyone.
This is my first post on this forum after taking some very sound advice for my first tiling job.
I have fitted a new bathroom and carried out all the tiling myself without any prior experience and I'm pretty happy with how it's turned out. It has taken me nearly every weekend over the whole summer so it should be good!!
Now I've got to the part I'm dreading... Silicone.
Ive already mucked up the seal round the bath so had to re-do that but luckily it looks ok and no one would ever know.
The problem I've now got is the silicone seal required in the vertical corner of my new shower area where this is between some standard white tiles and some natural stone tiles that are ribbed, sort of like a bamboo effect.
Im terrified of getting the silicone everywhere and in all the ridges as grouting was bad enough, but at least that wipes off. I masked all the vertical joints when grouting and even then some still creeped behind the tape.
I was hoping that one of you expert tiler may be able to offer some more invaluable advice!!
Any help would be appreciated.
thanks in advance.

When I silicone I put a bead right down the join then spray with a diluted mix of washing up liquid & water,
Then use a silicone tool & just work the silicone down the join.
Use wonder wipes & take your time.

2020Tiling

I had the same problem with silicone on a recent job and it totally spoilt the look of the finish! The tiling was perfect with a 1/2mm expansion gap around the whole floor, but it might as well of been a 4mm gap buy the time I silicone up with the tiles having a uneven lumpy finish on the top!! It looked horrid . Would on option for a neater finish be to use grout then clear silicone over the top once dry? Done this once and it still looks perfect and the grout hasn't cracked.

Reaction score
I have been tiling for 40years plus and I still pay a friend (who does nothing but silicon all day) £50 to finish the job off. He makes such a perfect job of it that I feel it actually enhances the tiling. Well worth the £50, which is nothing on top of the cost of a bathroom.

S

Stef

50 bangers to finish off a bath??
Not a chance.

After years of practice I am as good, if not better, than any mastic man that does the job full time..

Reply to Help - silicone joint on ribbed tiles!!! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen