Discuss Hello all new to the forum - Career change in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
It’s better to ask a daft question than make an expensive mistake. :)

O

Old Mod

I just hope they don't mind a few daft questions as I know I may have one or two in me!!
No such thing as a daft question, only daft answers 😁
Whenever I’ve trained someone there’s two main things that I impres on trainees.
One is that I’d sooner you ask a question as many as it need for it to become second nature.
And two, if you say to yourself at any time
“Ahhh that’s good enough!”
Then rip it up, just by saying that, you know it’s not!

Reaction score
No such thing as a daft question, only daft answers 😁
Whenever I’ve trained someone there’s two main things that I impres on trainees.
One is that I’d sooner you ask a question as many as it need for it to become second nature.
And two, if you say to yourself at any time
“Ahhh that’s good enough!”
Then rip it up, just by saying that, you know it’s not!

Completely understand what you mean, when doing a job and saying "that's good enough" means your accepting a sub standard effort and you're most probably rushing...

I have been reading through the forum and have loads of questions already but I will wait until I have completed my training before I start bombarding you all. Do you think it would be wise for me to attend some plastering training? Also I have the opportunity to complete bathroom fitting and kitchen fitting courses (including carpentry), I am thinking attending these will increase my awareness of what size tile will complement the finished room layout?

Regards,

David.

Reaction score
Completely understand what you mean, when doing a job and saying "that's good enough" means your accepting a sub standard effort and you're most probably rushing...

I have been reading through the forum and have loads of questions already but I will wait until I have completed my training before I start bombarding you all. Do you think it would be wise for me to attend some plastering training? Also I have the opportunity to complete bathroom fitting and kitchen fitting courses (including carpentry), I am thinking attending these will increase my awareness of what size tile will complement the finished room layout?

Regards,

David.
Hiya mate,

Your story sounds very similar to mine. I leave the Royal Navy after 23 years in jan 2020. Currently on leave to resettle etc. I’m looking at booking onto the same course very soon. Tiling as a career for me is a total 180 degrees in what I’ve done for the last 23 years but I’m excited. My OCD and attention to detail I feel would be wasted on a trade that is in the walls or plastered over. I live by Manchester airport and I too, am Looking for a local tiler who wouldn’t mind a 39 year old apprentice/mate. I have my own van and my tool Collection is growing which keeps the wife rolling her eyes back when more delivery’s arrive haha.

Anyway, I wish you all the best pal

Azz

Reaction score
Hiya mate,

Your story sounds very similar to mine. I leave the Royal Navy after 23 years in jan 2020. Currently on leave to resettle etc. I’m looking at booking onto the same course very soon. Tiling as a career for me is a total 180 degrees in what I’ve done for the last 23 years but I’m excited. My OCD and attention to detail I feel would be wasted on a trade that is in the walls or plastered over. I live by Manchester airport and I too, am Looking for a local tiler who wouldn’t mind a 39 year old apprentice/mate. I have my own van and my tool Collection is growing which keeps the wife rolling her eyes back when more delivery’s arrive haha.

Anyway, I wish you all the best pal

Azz

Hello Azz,

Do you have a course booked as of yet? I'll be travelling up from Pompey for mine so it's a cheeky 6 hours drive for me. This is completely different from my background (Warfare MW). My Mrs is in the RN and on promotion courses from Jan-Apr so my notice will go in the day she finishes as I don't want to miss out on any of my resettlement time but on completion of my course I am lucky enough to have a project to work on over the weekends if I don't manage to get any offers from a local tiler.

I wish you all the luck for the future and hope the rest of your resettlement goes well.

regards,

Flash

Reaction score
Hello Azz,

Do you have a course booked as of yet? I'll be travelling up from Pompey for mine so it's a cheeky 6 hours drive for me. This is completely different from my background (Warfare MW). My Mrs is in the RN and on promotion courses from Jan-Apr so my notice will go in the day she finishes as I don't want to miss out on any of my resettlement time but on completion of my course I am lucky enough to have a project to work on over the weekends if I don't manage to get any offers from a local tiler.

I wish you all the luck for the future and hope the rest of your resettlement goes well.

regards,

Flash
Not got a course booked yet but I want to get it done ASAP as my Tx date is 7th Jan. What dates you booked on?
You going to weekend warrior it on course? Some drive that. I’m looking at getting some plastering time in too with my mate who owns his own company. All strings to the bow. I’m 39 and if I didn’t leave the mob now then I would of left it to late to follow my self employed dream.

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Is around 40 the average age for folks to leave the services?

Reaction score
All depends. My story is I joined just turned 17. You had to do 22 years from your 18th birthday to qualify for pension etc. I think the youngsters just have to do 20 now but less in the way of pension.

Reaction score
Not got a course booked yet but I want to get it done ASAP as my Tx date is 7th Jan. What dates you booked on?
You going to weekend warrior it on course? Some drive that. I’m looking at getting some plastering time in too with my mate who owns his own company. All strings to the bow. I’m 39 and if I didn’t leave the mob now then I would of left it to late to follow my self employed dream.

Azz, I have sent you a message.

40 is when most contracts are coming to an end but most people get offered an extension. I joined the RN at 16 and this is the only job I have done. Civvie world should be interesting lol

S

Spare Tool

Good luck to you both, Darren at UKpro will see you right couldn't ask for a better start up mentor, will be worth shadowing a tiler for a while though after your course, even if it's just labouring, I was very lucky I met a local tiler to work with and we still work together now.
I sincerely hope it all works out for you both..

Reaction score
Evening all,

Great news this evening! I have managed to find an experienced tiler who is willing to take me on at weekends and free time after completing my course. He is as keen to teach as I am to learn and he doesn't work very far away which is perfect.

Fingers crossed it all works out! Maybe one day I'll be able to post some pictures of works I have completed, I will keep you posted.

David

Reply to Hello all new to the forum - Career change in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks