Discuss Hello all new to the forum - Career change in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Morning All,

My name is David and I am 32 and another one who is looking for a career change. I have been doing my current job (Armed Forces not construction) for nearly 16 years and have come to the decision this is no longer the life for me. I have been working in middle management for the last 6 years. Luckily although having a family (wife and 2 kids) I am in the position to be able to re-train without pressure.

I have been looking into the trade industry for a while now and I have done a small amount of tiling which I enjoyed especially the attention to detail and instantly being able to appreciate a good job done which is why I made tiling route to take. I have been researching for a while and think i have formulated some sort of plan of action.

So after trawling the internet researching courses in tiling i have booked myself onto the 13 day course with UK Pro Tiling after seeing the reviews they had received, as well as searching on TF to find they had a respected following. I will be attending the course at the end of November whilst i am on leave with the intention of serving my lays year gaining as much experience hands on doing free work for friends and family building up a portfolio (around weekly dad duties). Obviously if i can find an experienced local tiler in Hampshire who is willing to take me on and show me "the ways" then this would help tremendously, I can imagine this is hard to do though as who wants to train the competition haha. I have a van already as my T5 conversion has been put on hold...

I am not here with a pipe dream of earning big bucks i just want to be in a job that i can work hard and hear someone be happy with a job will done. I would be interested in talking to any other ex-servicemen who can offer advice on other course or workshops worth attending during resettlement.

Going to end this now before anyone falls asleep.... if anyone made it this far!

Regards,

David

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hello and welcome David 🙂

Sounds like you have a reasonable plan. Look forward to you being around and see how you get on. Best of luck with it all 😁

O

Old Mod

Work hard and maybe one day you too will be able to have personalised levelling clips, eh @3_fall. 😎😁

Well you know Neil, the thing about that is, you know who I am.
And you’ll always know when it’s my work you’re looking at, so I suppose, they’re doing what I intended them to do eh 😁🤣🤣

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Well you know Neil, the thing about that is, you know who I am.
And you’ll always know when it’s my work you’re looking at, so I suppose, they’re doing what I intended them to do eh 😁🤣🤣
You're not leaving them in all the tiling you do are you?!?! ;) ;)
[automerge]1569009508[/automerge]
Morning All,

My name is David and I am 32 and another one who is looking for a career change. I have been doing my current job (Armed Forces not construction) for nearly 16 years and have come to the decision this is no longer the life for me. I have been working in middle management for the last 6 years. Luckily although having a family (wife and 2 kids) I am in the position to be able to re-train without pressure.

I have been looking into the trade industry for a while now and I have done a small amount of tiling which I enjoyed especially the attention to detail and instantly being able to appreciate a good job done which is why I made tiling route to take. I have been researching for a while and think i have formulated some sort of plan of action.

So after trawling the internet researching courses in tiling i have booked myself onto the 13 day course with UK Pro Tiling after seeing the reviews they had received, as well as searching on TF to find they had a respected following. I will be attending the course at the end of November whilst i am on leave with the intention of serving my lays year gaining as much experience hands on doing free work for friends and family building up a portfolio (around weekly dad duties). Obviously if i can find an experienced local tiler in Hampshire who is willing to take me on and show me "the ways" then this would help tremendously, I can imagine this is hard to do though as who wants to train the competition haha. I have a van already as my T5 conversion has been put on hold...

I am not here with a pipe dream of earning big bucks i just want to be in a job that i can work hard and hear someone be happy with a job will done. I would be interested in talking to any other ex-servicemen who can offer advice on other course or workshops worth attending during resettlement.

Going to end this now before anyone falls asleep.... if anyone made it this far!

Regards,

David
Welcome to the forum. Me and Darren used to speak on the phone quite a lot a long time ago. Share web advice and general business advice. Both had new ventures at the time. Not sure what the first connection actually was. Think it might have even been before the forum!

He's very good. He's good at explaining things in a way everybody gets. And if they don't, he wont let you leave without that part covered before moving onto the next the next day.

You're in good hands.

Some guys may knock short courses. I say to that, where the hell are you meant to go. Colleges are miles away and a million miles from practicality.

No tiler, whether learning on the job, from his dad, from a gang on site, from a college, from an independent training centre, has come out of there with all the knowledge he needs ongoing.

Your best contacts are all the ones you find on the way. So take everybody's name and number, and backup your phone always.

Go on all the trade courses. They pop up even on here such as the Wedi one in the calendar. And the many ones Nicobond and Mapei post. Loads of dates for those. There was a point there were some guys going way way down sarf to london to get up to speed on large format tiling. Not sure you'd be quite at that stage after 4 weeks. But they're about on the forum from time to time.

Keep at it. It'll pay off.

It's a finishing trade, so you get to see the work, and it's rewarding, most of the time. Unlike plumbing, or electrical work, which nearly all their stuff gets plastered over.

Lots of cool LED related stuff sparkys are installing these days mind, they look out of this world.

I'm combining the three forums and robbing them of all their knowledge when I do my bathroom soon. TV in there, LED sunken ceiling lighting, new suit (already in but not secure which keeps catching me out!) the lot.

Bloody lovely JOTM entry when I get round to it! :D

Last edited:
Reaction score
You're not leaving them in all the tiling you do are you?!?! ;) ;)
[automerge]1569009508[/automerge]

Welcome to the forum. Me and Darren used to speak on the phone quite a lot a long time ago. Share web advice and general business advice. Both had new ventures at the time. Not sure what the first connection actually was. Think it might have even been before the forum!

He's very good. He's good at explaining things in a way everybody gets. And if they don't, he wont let you leave without that part covered before moving onto the next the next day.

You're in good hands.

Some guys may knock short courses. I say to that, where the hell are you meant to go. Colleges are miles away and a million miles from practicality.

No tiler, whether learning on the job, from his dad, from a gang on site, from a college, from an independent training centre, has come out of there with all the knowledge he needs ongoing.

Your best contacts are all the ones you find on the way. So take everybody's name and number, and backup your phone always.

Go on all the trade courses. They pop up even on here such as the Wedi one in the calendar. And the many ones Nicobond and Mapei post. Loads of dates for those. There was a point there were some guys going way way down sarf to london to get up to speed on large format tiling. Not sure you'd be quite at that stage after 4 weeks. But they're about on the forum from time to time.

Keep at it. It'll pay off.

It's a finishing trade, so you get to see the work, and it's rewarding, most of the time. Unlike plumbing, or electrical work, which nearly all their stuff gets plastered over.

Lots of cool LED related stuff sparkys are installing these days mind, they look out of this world.

I'm combining the three forums and robbing them of all their knowledge when I do my bathroom soon. TV in there, LED sunken ceiling lighting, new suit (already in but not secure which keeps catching me out!) the lot.

Bloody lovely JOTM entry when I get round to it! :D
Dan,

Thank you for the advice. I will get on and find some dates out for further courses, The long haired General has me all booked up for my next leave period so I'll have to see if I can find some around the summer time.

Good luck with the bathroom and have a good weekend.

David

T

Time's Ran Out

Welcome to the forum - keep reading and keep posting!
This is the most rewarding trade available and you will enjoy it enormously.

Reaction score
welcome and good luck ...Antonio
Thank you
Welcome to the forum - keep reading and keep posting!
This is the most rewarding trade available and you will enjoy it enormously.
John, thank you. I have been reading through and it seems like there a good bunch of people on here, I just hope they don't mind a few daft questions as I know I may have one or two in me!!
Welcome to the forum .
Thank you Albert

Reply to Hello all new to the forum - Career change in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alex Carr
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks